The volume of blood in the body of a diver is about 6 L

In summary, the volume of blood in a diver's body is about 6 L, with 55% being blood cells and 45% being plasma. To calculate the maximum volume of nitrogen that can dissolve in the diver's blood plasma at a pressure of 10.0 atm and 37C, we can use Henry's Law (p = K*s) and solve for s. With a Henry's constant for nitrogen at 37C of 5.8E-7 mol*L^-1*atm^-1, the solubility of nitrogen in the diver's blood plasma is determined to be s = 5.8E-6 mol/L-atm. Since we also know the volume of blood, we can
  • #1
physicsss
319
0
the volume of blood in the bodyof a diver is about 6 L. Blood cells make up about 55% of the blood volume, and the remaining 45% is the aqueous solution called plasma. What is the maximum volume of nitrogen measured at 1.00 atm and 37C that could dissolve in the diver's blood plasma when the pressure is 10.0 atm. assume that henry's constant for nitrogen at 37C is 5.8E-7 mol*L^-1*atm^-1.

OK. I know I need to use henry's law, s=k*p, but I need some help calculating p, the partial pressure of nitrogen. Then I can use PV=nRT to solve for the volume, right?

TIA.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
  • #2
anyone? :-/
 
  • #3
As far as I know the equation for solubility is written :

[tex]p = K_c \cdot s~,~ [/tex]

but, from the dimensions you quote for your value of k, your expression (s=k*p) is correct. So, my Kc is 1/k, but that's irrelevant now. Use your expression :

s = k*p

where :
k = 5.8E-7 mol/L-atm
p = partial pressure of nitrogen = 10 atm (I recommend this number, only because of lack of additional information...it may be that you must use 7.8 atm, but I'm not certain)


Plugging these in will give you s. But you know the volume of blood, so . . . . . .
 
Last edited:

1. How is the volume of blood in a diver's body measured?

The volume of blood in a diver's body can be measured using a technique called the dilution method. This involves injecting a known amount of a dye or tracer into the bloodstream and measuring the dilution of that substance over time to calculate the total volume of blood.

2. Is 6 L the average volume of blood in a diver's body?

No, 6 L is not the average volume of blood in a diver's body. The average volume of blood in an adult human body is around 5 L, but this can vary depending on factors such as age, gender, and overall health.

3. How does the volume of blood in a diver's body change during a dive?

The volume of blood in a diver's body will decrease during a dive due to the increased pressure at greater depths. This can cause the blood vessels to constrict, reducing the overall volume of blood in the body. However, this decrease is typically minimal and does not pose a significant risk to the diver.

4. Can the volume of blood in a diver's body affect their ability to dive?

Yes, the volume of blood in a diver's body can have an impact on their ability to dive safely. A lower volume of blood can lead to decreased oxygen delivery to the tissues, which can increase the risk of decompression sickness or other diving-related injuries. Divers should always monitor their overall health and consult a doctor if they have any concerns about their blood volume.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the volume of blood in a diver's body?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the volume of blood in a diver's body. These include hydration levels, overall health and fitness, and any medical conditions that may impact blood volume. Additionally, certain medications or substances, such as alcohol, can also affect blood volume and should be avoided before diving.

Similar threads

  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
115
  • Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
Replies
5
Views
898
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
11
Views
3K
Replies
2
Views
541
Replies
17
Views
2K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
1
Views
6K
  • Introductory Physics Homework Help
Replies
6
Views
1K
  • Mechanical Engineering
Replies
3
Views
923
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
4
Views
4K
  • Biology and Chemistry Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
1K
Back
Top