1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The volume of the block?

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    im doing my physics lab report[ first one]
    and the last question asks

'using a meter stick, to how many significant figures could you determine the length of the block?___________ The width of the block?__________The thickness of the block?__________The volume of the block?____________

block's...
    length=10.6
    width=3.7
    thickness=1.2
    volume=47.064
    all in cm.

my teacher never taught us sig figs, and said we have to figure it out, none of us know and he wont help, so if you could help me, like where to start and how to figure it out.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    Well significant figures can only go up to the least accurate number
    ex. 10.6 + 10.333 + 1.899999999 would equal 22.833 but since the least acurate one is 10.6 you would have to put 22.8 Try to think of how many significant figures a meter stick has and then make your answers that small.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3
    What is the smallest division on your meter stick? What part of that smallest division do you think you can distinguish using your calibrated eyeballs?
    Any answer will be no more accurate than the least accurate factor that goes into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?