Who really brings Christmas gifts - love or reward?

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary, the family does not exchange gifts, but everyone is welcome at Christmas. The best part is food sharing.
Jimmy Snyder
It's Christmas morning and the kids are creeping down the stairs to see the gifts arrayed under the tree, itself so beautifully decorated. Brightly colored paper and ribbons go flying in all directions as they open one package after the other. Eyes wide with wonder, they squeal in delight to their father, "Daddy, how nice it is to be loved. To know that regardless of our faults, you love us and bring us these wonderful gifts." The response: "No, your father didn't bring you these gifts, Santa Claus did. Not out of love, but as a reward.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my home and the homes of my friends, A gift or two came from Santa and the rest of the gifts came from my parents and relatives. I have never heard of a family where the parents labeled everything from Santa. :bugeye:

I don't know that it's a good thing to make a child equate "gifts" with "love". I can see a gift as a reward for a child that has been good, but that should be with limits, you don't want a child expecting a gift just for behaving properly, but love should be unconditional.

I knew I was loved by my parents and didn't need gifts to prove it. The gifts were fun. Christmas is a time of giving and sharing.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I don't know that it's a good thing to make a child equate "gifts" with "love".
That is a dangerous thing to do, and it is especially damaging to the very young kids from poorer families - kids who have not developed a real understanding of values, costs, budgets, etc. They see their friends from well-off families getting all kinds of toys, games, videos, etc for Christmas while they get something that they absolutely need, like socks and mittens or a pair of shoes. I grew up in a neighborhood like that, and as soon as I experienced my first Christmas in grade school (half-day Kindergarten), I knew the Santa story was a load of crap. Some of the nicest kids in class got little or nothing and some of the meanest little creeps got tons of stuff. My parents tried to budget for some modest gifts and my mother knitted us all stockings, mittens, hats and scarves every year. And yes, I opened my share of underwear under the tree. :redface: The best part about Christmas was being with family, playing games and enjoying food, company, and music. My wife grew up in similar circumstances. We don't exchange gifts with one another or with anybody else, but everybody is welcome here and nobody leaves hungry!

turbo-1 said:
That is a dangerous thing to do, and it is especially damaging to the very young kids from poorer families - kids who have not developed a real understanding of values, costs, budgets, etc. They see their friends from well-off families getting all kinds of toys, games, videos, etc for Christmas while they get something that they absolutely need, like socks and mittens or a pair of shoes. I grew up in a neighborhood like that, and as soon as I experienced my first Christmas in grade school (half-day Kindergarten), I knew the Santa story was a load of crap. Some of the nicest kids in class got little or nothing and some of the meanest little creeps got tons of stuff. My parents tried to budget for some modest gifts and my mother knitted us all stockings, mittens, hats and scarves every year. And yes, I opened my share of underwear under the tree. :redface:!
I always liked my mother's expalnation of why Santa gave some children more than others. She told me the "secret" was that Santa bought toys with money the parents gave them, so a rich kid's parents could afford to give Santa more money for more toys.

The best part about Christmas was being with family, playing games and enjoying food, company, and music. My wife grew up in similar circumstances. We don't exchange gifts with one another or with anybody else, but everybody is welcome here and nobody leaves hungry
That's the best traditional of all, and sharing food is a HUGE part of what I associate with the holidays. FOOD! :biggrin:

Evo said:
That's the best traditional of all, and sharing food is a HUGE part of what I associate with the holidays. FOOD! :biggrin:

Apropos food, what about a Christmas food photo contest around Christmas? :smile:

radou said:
Apropos food, what about a Christmas food photo contest around Christmas? :smile:
You wouldn't recognize any of the dishes my wife and I make as "Christmas food".

1) Hickory-smoked Atlantic salmon glazed with maple syrup and dusted with peppercorns

2) A make-your own appetizer tray loaded with jalapeno and habanero jellies, smoked oysters, mustards, cream cheese, sour cream, sharp cheeses, and a variety of crackers and pickles

3) Grilled jumbo shrimp basted in a very hot (lots of peppers) sauce that also serves as the marinade

4) Whole turkey, hickory-smoked breast-down with strips of bacon laid across its back (the skin comes out black and ugly but it is the best-tasting turkey you've ever had)

turbo-1 said:
You wouldn't recognize any of the dishes my wife and I make as "Christmas food".

1) Hickory-smoked Atlantic salmon glazed with maple syrup and dusted with peppercorns

2) A make-your own appetizer tray loaded with jalapeno and habanero jellies, smoked oysters, mustards, cream cheese, sour cream, sharp cheeses, and a variety of crackers and pickles

3) Grilled jumbo shrimp basted in a very hot (lots of peppers) sauce that also serves as the marinade

4) Whole turkey, hickory-smoked breast-down with strips of bacon laid across its back (the skin comes out black and ugly but it is the best-tasting turkey you've ever had)

Well, that would be the point of the contest! :wink:

Btw, I'm hungry already.

Jimmy, why is this/that a war on Easter? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Easter.

verty said:
Jimmy, why is this/that a war on Easter? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Easter.

sure it does! its a war on easter by association. both are the biggest festivals on the christian calendar, and as such are both open to attack by association. if the attacking hordes are able to bring down the commercial entity that is christmas, then would not the great defensive walls that is the chocolate easter bunny come melting down as well?

The only defensive walls I see are common sense.

but, people are never sensible, which is a common thing i think. how can one possibly claim to be sensible when the topic has nothing to do with the thread discussion?

verty said:
I'm glad you asked as I had been saddened by the fact that the thread had been hijacked. I must admit, the topic was somewhat hidden in the topic line, not in the message.

In my story, the children say:
"Daddy, how nice it is to be loved. To know that regardless of our faults, you love us and bring us these wonderful gifts."

In the Easter story, out of love, the Father gave a gift (eternal life) to all, regardless of their faults. The children seem to understand the Easter story.

But in my story, the father denies that the gift is from him and insists that the packages are not gifts but rewards. That is to say, given only to good children.

The modern, commercialized celebration of Christmas is a blanket denial of the Easter story. The war on Christmas pales in comparison.

The Easter Bunny brings gifts to good children. In some families Easter is even more fun than Christmas. Does the father also have an emotional breakdown at Easter?

And you've broken the rule about discussing specific religious beliefs. Discussing santa and bunnies is ok, bringing Christian teachings into it is a no no.

Last edited:

1. What is the "war on Easter"?

The "war on Easter" is a term that has been used to describe the perceived cultural and societal shift away from the religious aspects of the holiday of Easter and towards more secular celebrations such as the Easter Bunny and egg hunts.

2. When did the "war on Easter" begin?

The term "war on Easter" gained popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but the debate over the secularization of the holiday has been ongoing for decades.

3. Is there really a "war on Easter"?

This is a highly debated topic, with some arguing that there is a deliberate effort to secularize the holiday and others arguing that it is simply a natural evolution of cultural traditions. There is no consensus on whether or not a "war on Easter" actually exists.

4. How has the "war on Easter" affected religious beliefs and practices?

There are differing opinions on how the perceived "war on Easter" has affected religious beliefs and practices. Some argue that it has led to a decline in religious observance and a loss of the true meaning of the holiday, while others believe that the religious significance of Easter remains strong for many individuals and communities.

5. What can be done to address the "war on Easter"?

This is a complex issue with no easy solutions. Some suggest promoting the religious aspects of Easter more prominently, while others argue for a more inclusive approach that embraces both the religious and secular aspects of the holiday. Ultimately, the best approach may vary depending on individual beliefs and values.