Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The war on Hannukah

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bad link!

4. Dec 7, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Whoops!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. Dec 7, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: As a Jewish friend of mine would say, "If God didn't want Jews to eat pork, why did He make bacon so tasty?"

My brother-in-law only tosses out that dietary law when we propose cooking Christmas ham, because he doesn't like ham (he does NOT keep kosher, and has no problem eating bacon or pork chops, but that doesn't stop him from using the excuse against ham).

Laughing at what you titled the link too...my dad used to tell the story of when he was young and naive about different religions, he went to a Jewish deli, and after ordering a nice roast beef sandwich (or something like that), his mischievous friend who brought them there suggested he make sure to have their coffee with milk to go with the sandwich.

6. Dec 7, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl:
    How could anyone in New York City not be aware of Jewish dietary restrictions? North Dakota perhaps, not NY!

Anyway, I am probably the only Roman Catholic with a Jewish Godfather. (apparently only one godparent has to be Catholic). Also my Uncle (married to my mother's sister is Jewish, so it's a mixed family. My first husband's step mother was Jewish, his dad married the mother of his brother's wife. She was the BEST COOK in the world!! I treasure the recipes I learned from her.

So to anyone of Jewish faith Happy Hanukkah!!

7. Dec 7, 2007 #6
  8. Dec 7, 2007 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Could Chanukah be a pun word (CHristmas + HANUKAH)? Or is it merely a different spelling for Hanukah?

[Apologies for ignorance of/confusion about popular religious references.]

9. Dec 7, 2007 #8

Evo

10. Dec 7, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like the comments on the blog that first shared the story, especially the one pointing out it could be worse...they could have been selling bacon-wrapped scallops. :rofl:

http://nancykayshapiro.livejournal.com/35633.html?thread=54321

She reports all the signs now say "Delicious for the Holidays." Should we send gravenewworld after them next? They should at least be fair and offend everyone equally...I see they haven't tried selling them for Ramadan yet. :biggrin:

11. Dec 7, 2007 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Day 1 of employee training worksheet:
    List as many dietary requirements of the following religions/holidays as you can (1 pt each)
    Beltane
    Bet Hashem
    Beth El Shaddai
    Beth HaShem
    Bhagavad-Gita:
    Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh:
    Bhakti Yoga
    Cabalah
    Christadelphianism
    Dungeons and Dragons

12. Dec 7, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

I don't know how someone in NYC doesn't know about Jewish dietary restrictions either...I thought the pork restriction was the best known of them (not sure if the shellfish restrictions, or prohibitions of mixing meat and dairy are quite as well known to everyone).

13. Dec 7, 2007 #12

Evo

:rofl: But even I, growing up in Texas, knew that Jewish people didn't eat pork.

Knowing that they can't mix meat with dairy or that orthodox Jews can't have any shellfish may not be so widely known.

A couple of years ago New York's water system became contaminated with a microscopic form of shellfish and there was an uproar in the Othodox Jewish community, the water wasn't Kosher.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/07/nyregion/07filter.html

14. Dec 7, 2007 #13

wolram

Gold Member

So how did these eating fads start?

15. Dec 7, 2007 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Way back in Leviticus in the Old Testament, there's a chapter about what is clean and unclean to eat. Jewish dietary law takes those proscriptions literally. If the store was really up on their dietary laws, they'd have offered up a lovely dish of locust and grasshoppers as perfect for Hannukah. :uhh:

16. Dec 7, 2007 #15

Evo

My opinion, from studying the roots, and we know how valuable my opinion is, is that it was basic health 101. Pork has always been known for carrying trichinosis, of course back then they didn't know it was trichinosis. It would be sensical to ban eating it since people would get sick after eating pork, they had no idea that it could be prevented by consistent cooking at a certain temperature, they didn't have thermostats. All of the the laws to do with kosher food prevents common problems with food born toxins and hygiene. Also their laws on cleaniness in general all have practical roots in not spreading contamination.

Their rituals for cleansing bedding and bathing were incredible.

17. Dec 7, 2007 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Amazing that a food fad can be traced back to biblical times and that it had a logical reason.
    Right now i have a belly ache from eating a meat pie, i hope i dont have gastric conjunctivitus.

18. Dec 7, 2007 #17

turbo

Gold Member

You're expecting to contract pink-eye from a stomach ailment? OK. Better watch out for brain cancer caused by eating organ-meats. Could happen you know.:uhh:

19. Dec 7, 2007 #18

wolram

Gold Member

I never eat innards so i will not get bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

20. Dec 7, 2007 #19

Evo

Actually, it's the meat nearest the bone that is to be avoided. That is why it is not safe to eat generic ground beef. You should grind your own from meat you know has no bone marrow in it if you fear mad cow disease.

21. Dec 7, 2007 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I love T bone steak rare, D & B it i have avoided the rong bits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?