The war on terror, self defeating or a neccesity?

• News
  • Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self
In summary: UK's and US's actions in Iraq and Afghanistan. The article provides evidence that there has been a dramatic increase in terrorist attacks since the invasion of Iraq. While it is impossible to predict with certainty what would have happened if the US had not invaded these countries, it is reasonable to assume that the rise in terrorism is at least partially a result of these actions. In summary, a study has shown that there has been a significant increase in global terrorism since the invasion of Iraq in 2003. This contradicts the claims of leaders such as George Bush and Tony Blair that the war has not contributed to the rise in fundamentalist violence. The study suggests that innocent people around the world are paying the

Is the war on terrorism simply not working?

• Frankly no, the neocon strategy is inneffective.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Yes, stay the course, you'll see

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We need a new approach, Iraq and Afghanistan have shown this.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • We must oppose terror by violent means, or there will be more terror!

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Terror must be fought by intelligence agencies not by overt force, if it is to succeed.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Other: please explain if you would.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • If you think I'm answering that question you've got another think coming:)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
baywax said:
I'd like to see some references supporting your claims.

?

"www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
?

"www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf"[/URL][/QUOTE]

911 Report?

Oh, you mean the report the government was forced to do in the face of criticisms from the public and the (only) other party in American politics? Let's see, do we take that report as independent or is it just another internal audit?

I'd like to see references from archived footage among other resources. (For example: I claimed that Bin Labin's name was mentioned during the first 20 to 120 minutes of this mass murder. For me to back up my claim I need to go to CBS or ABC, or NBC, or CNN or FOX and find the footage of the newscast I was watching during the first hour of this cowardly attack. I'm not too sure, but, my bet is that a lot of this kind of footage has been mysteriously recycled.

baywax said:
Oh, you mean the report the government was forced to do in the face of criticisms from the public and the (only) other party in American politics? Let's see, do we take that report as independent or is it just another internal audit?

The government didn't issue the 9/11 Report.

Pelt said:
The government didn't issue the 9/11 Report.

Actually, it was a bipartisan group of government appointed folk doing the "investigations".

This group had to be approved and signed for by the the President and his admin. Where is the New York City Police Dept. represented in this group? The majority of this mass murder took place in New York City.Philip Zelikow,
Executive Director

Christopher A. Kojm,
Deputy Executive Director

Daniel Marcus,
General Counsel

Joanne M.Accolla
Staff Assistant

Alexis Albion
Professional Staff Member

Scott H.Allan,Jr.
Counsel

John A.Azzarello
Counsel

Caroline Barnes

Warren Bass

Ann M. Bennett
Information Control Officer

Mark S. Bittinger

Madeleine Blot
Counsel

Antwion M. Blount
Systems Engineer

Sam Brinkley

Geoffrey Scott Brown
Research Assistant

Daniel Byman

Dianna Campagna
Manager of Operations

Samuel M.W.Caspersen
Counsel

Melissa A. Coffey
Staff Assistant

Lance Cole
Consultant

Marquittia L. Coleman
Staff Assistant

Marco A. Cordero

Rajesh De
Counsel

George W.Delgrosso
Investigator

Gerald L. Dillingham

Thomas E. Dowling

Steven M. Dunne
Deputy General Counsel

Thomas R. Eldridge
Counsel

Alice Falk
Editor

John J. Farmer, Jr.
Senior Counsel & Team Leader

Alvin S. Felzenberg
Deputy for Communications

baywax said:
Actually, it was a bipartisan group of government appointed folk doing the "investigations".

And that's important why?

This group had to be approved and signed for by the the President and his admin. Where is the New York City Police Dept. represented in this group? The majority of this mass murder took place in New York City.

The commission's charter was to investigate the attacks. What purpose would having an NYPD representative serve?

I felt the 911 was wanting in several key areas, many of which have been enumerated elsewhere in great detail. Perhaps it was bipartisan, but I would have greatly preferred a Richard Fetnmann or two. Where was the science?

denverdoc said:
I felt the 911 was wanting in several key areas, many of which have been enumerated elsewhere in great detail. Perhaps it was bipartisan, but I would have greatly preferred a Richard Fetnmann or two. Where was the science?

How about a John Dower? Where was the Meiji-era Japanese history? Or maybe a Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Peyton Manning. Who on the 9/11 commission was looking out for NFL and NASCAR fans? I mean c'mon, Congress and the President convened the Commission to independently investigate the attacks and make recommendations pertinent to the attacks. It wasn't put together to recommend some form airline lawsuit liability, negotiate with the FDNY unions or NYPD PBA reps to determine proper payouts, or make rulings the admissibility of scientific evidence in a court of law. It existed solely to enumerate a public record of facts and make recommendations therefrom.

Pelt said:
And that's important why?

They're government appointees. They are not independent investigators. Or I should say "investigator" because there is only one investigator listed on the panel.

The commission's charter was to investigate the attacks. What purpose would having an NYPD representative serve?

Any murder that happens in NYC is investigated by the NYPD. This is a case where over 3000 murders took place with in an hour. I would think the NYPD would have a place in the investigation.

Sorry to have brought this topic off topic. The original topic asks what the right approach is to end the cowardly sucker punches being pulled by some weak-minded, panty-waisted group of scum. My solution is to show them the right way to live as in "provide a good example". Best in the new year!

Kurdt said:
No assumptions are needed since for example, the 7th of July bombings in London were commited by people who clearly stated that British involvement in Afghanistan and Iraq was their motivation. there have been numerous other warnings from terrorist groups to countries with troops in those two aforementioned countries.

Well the United States could have capture osama and executed him and his followers probably would've attack the US in response to let the United States know that they will carry on osama's legacy. Terrorists attacks are inevitable now, whether we invaded another country or not.

baywax said:
They're government appointees. They are not independent investigators. Or I should say "investigator" because there is only one investigator listed on the panel.

Perhaps we disagree on the definition of "independent," then. I tend to draw a bright line at political appointees that answer either to some executive of legislative leadership. Where do you draw the line?

Any murder that happens in NYC is investigated by the NYPD. This is a case where over 3000 murders took place with in an hour. I would think the NYPD would have a place in the investigation.

NYPD lost jurisdiction the minute those aircraft took off from Logan. Aside from being an act of terrorism, jurisdiction over airspace is federal period. If that's not enough for you, the crime was inherently of an interstate nature.

Sorry to have brought this topic off topic. The original topic asks what the right approach is to end the cowardly sucker punches being pulled by some weak-minded, panty-waisted group of scum. My solution is to show them the right way to live as in "provide a good example". Best in the new year!

I don't think that's going to be terribly effective on Al Qaeda. The leadership's seen how the West lives and decided they want something else. They also speak to cultures where households and clan relationships mean a great deal more than in Western countries. If setting an example hasn't stopped various overseas crime cultures from setting up hundred million dollar shops in the US, I sincerely doubt it alone can solve the US's public relations problem.

Pelt said:
Perhaps we disagree on the definition of "independent," then. I tend to draw a bright line at political appointees that answer either to some executive of legislative leadership. Where do you draw the line?

My idea of an independent inquiry is different from yours. Mine begins with people who have no connection with the middle east, oil company lobbyists, airlines, military or other governmentally influenced or influencing entities. For instance a civil union such as the NYPD or perhaps a democratically appointed panel brought into being through an open referendum or vote of some kind. This is not my area of expertise however, and I would look to someone such as Nome Chompsky or even a super computer that randomly makes its choices according to the specific criteria involved in such a complex case... a case so complex that I doubt that an "ex"-CIA operative like Bin Labeled could have devised it.

NYPD lost jurisdiction the minute those aircraft took off from Logan. Aside from being an act of terrorism, jurisdiction over airspace is federal period. If that's not enough for you, the crime was inherently of an interstate nature.

Your knowledge of these convenient federal laws and regulations is amply noted.

baywax said:
My idea of an independent inquiry is different from yours. Mine begins with people who have no connection with the middle east, oil company lobbyists, airlines, military or other governmentally influenced or influencing entities.

Wouldn't that rule out Noam Chomsky? He does, after all, have a wide range of activist contacts with people and organizations in the Middle East.

For instance a civil union such as the NYPD or perhaps a democratically appointed panel brought into being through an open referendum or vote of some kind.

Could you clarify what you mean by "civil union?" I'm not sure what criteria you're using to lump the NYPD together with "a democratically appointed panel." And I'm still not certain what purpose you envision the NYPD fulfilling.

Baywax said:
Not when the crime falls into Federal jurisdiction.

Pelt said:
Pelt is correct.

Evo said:
Not when the crime falls into Federal jurisdiction.
Specifically the FBI.

I'll suggest that a change in terminology will help in the "war on terror". Quite literally the title, "war on terror", evokes emotional responses like hate, fear and hysteria in most audiences. These audiences are what comprise a society and a nation. I would propose that the phrase become the " war on cowardice". This change of terminology is intended to provide a two-fold benefit to the society. One, it will instill a national and international determination to eradicate acts of cowardice and two it will define the "terrorists" and their accomplices for what they are and how they act.

baywax said:
I'll suggest that a change in terminology will help in the "war on terror". Quite literally the title, "war on terror", evokes emotional responses like hate, fear and hysteria in most audiences.

A cursory search of Google Scholar for cognitive research supporting this idea is particularly frustrating. Do you have some sort of support for this hypothesis or is it your own personal belief?

These audiences are what comprise a society and a nation. I would propose that the phrase become the " war on cowardice". This change of terminology is intended to provide a two-fold benefit to the society. One, it will instill a national and international determination to eradicate acts of cowardice and two it will define the "terrorists" and their accomplices for what they are and how they act.

I believe your idea boils down to to undermining some alleged atmosphere of hate, fear and by shaping people's perceptions of the terrorist threat downward. Setting aside the very tenuous basis for that strategy, how did you work out that changing the label to "war on cowardice" would in anyway impact public opinion?

Pelt said:
A cursory search of Google Scholar for cognitive research supporting this idea is particularly frustrating. Do you have some sort of support for this hypothesis or is it your own personal belief?
I believe your idea boils down to to undermining some alleged atmosphere of hate, fear and by shaping people's perceptions of the terrorist threat downward. Setting aside the very tenuous basis for that strategy, how did you work out that changing the label to "war on cowardice" would in anyway impact public opinion?

Hi Pelt 0,

A power word is a word that illicits a powerful emotional response from the browser. It is a word so irresistible that it makes a user far more likely to first notice and then click on the Google pay-per-click ad.

from: How Emotional Words Play a Dead-Serious Role in Google Ads & Blog Post Titles

http://blog.mindvalleylabs.com/google-adwords-secret-power-words-boost-ctr-by-114/61/What works in advertising works in media hype.

Here's a PDF file of the book...

The Power of Words: Unveiling the Speaker and Writer's Hidden Craft By David S. Kaufer

http://books.google.com/books?id=FWDfqJRcKb8C&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=power+of+word+emotional+response&source=web&ots=eAXrLLNDhc&sig=gI3uCsWagmHo_mMCBl72KlFv-S8 Interesting methods and invention here measuring responses to emotion-inducing stimuli (this study has a practical application in advertising and is as equally useful in government/media campaigns). A lot of info there.

"Method and apparatus for analyzing neurological response to emotion-inducing stimuli"

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6292688-description.html

Some people on Wicipedia with an opinion

"Use of the word terrorism (policy development) archive"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Use_of_the_word_terrorism_(policy_development)_archive

This article is related.Here's one...

"Media Effects: Advances in Theory and Research By Jennings Bryant, Dolf Zillmann"

Fright Reactions To Mass Media

This research has a multitude of authors.http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Lv4z9QeIRFAC&oi=fnd&pg=PA287&dq=%22CANTOR%22+%22Fright+Reactions+to+Mass+Media%22+&ots=K1Y2f54oc3&sig=WKlDrx3bo-F93lgkyzNhrvN8a4M#PPA263,M1

baywax said:
Hi Pelt 0,

Hey baywax. I think you misunderstood me. I'm looking for refereed scholarship. Your own would suffice. It's for my edification.

Pelt said:
Hey baywax. I think you misunderstood me. I'm looking for refereed scholarship. Your own would suffice. It's for my edification.

I'm not sure that I can help you with that.

If you don't understand how a word can effect you physiologically and psychologically, whether written or spoken, then you need to pay attention to your own responses. Here's a little test... have a look at these two words and gauge your response.TERROR

and

COWARD

Some refereed science and scholarship has already been done with regard to the effects of aurally and visually presented words on the physiology of human neurons.

Just google "Evoked Potential". The research involves using words, images and other stimuli to map areas of response in the brain.

This sort of study has been on-going since the 60s and is a well developed tool of government agencies and advertising agencies alike.

Is this too off-side for you?!

edit:

Further to my proposal, the word "terror" implies and evokes feelings of chaos, impending doom and an inability to react in a timely fashion. This type of psychological response does not lend itself to restoring a civil society and a saner world. Whereas, labeling this "war" a "war on cowards" creates the intention and the evocation that the "war" will be easily won (since cowards are so predictable)... thus, helping to reduce fear and boost the confidence and effectiveness of a society's efforts in that direction.

Moreover, when we admit we are in "terror" and continue to say that we are being "terrorized" we play directly into the hands of the cowards. They see in our newspapers and our news programming that they have had a desired effect and are therefore boosted in confidence and gain a renewed interest in continuing to "terrorize" the admittedly terrorized target.

Last edited:
baywax said:
I'm not sure that I can help you with that.

Too bad.

If you don't understand how a word can effect you physiologically and psychologically, whether written or spoken, then you need to pay attention to your own responses.

Once again, I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm asking specifically about your theories regarding the phrases "war on terror" and "war on cowardice." I'm not interested in your broader thoughts on rhetoric and social psychology. I'm also not interested in anything less than actual research on this issue. For example...

Here's a little test... have a look at these two words and gauge your response.

TERROR

and

COWARD

...I have no response to these words independent of the context of our discussion. Either your hypothesis is messed up or your test is less than satisfactory gauge.

Some refereed science and scholarship has already been done with regard to the effects of aurally and visually presented words on the physiology of human neurons.

Once again, I'm looking specifically for scholarship on a phrase that has been used widely and attracted a great deal of scholarly attention for six years now. Absent that, I'd love to see other research that at least allows me to reasonably the phrase's impact.

Is this too off-side for you?!

No, it's merely irrelevant to the question I asked.

Pelt said:
Too bad.
Once again, I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm asking specifically about your theories regarding the phrases "war on terror" and "war on cowardice." I'm not interested in your broader thoughts on rhetoric and social psychology. I'm also not interested in anything less than actual research on this issue. For example...
...I have no response to these words independent of the context of our discussion. Either your hypothesis is messed up or your test is less than satisfactory gauge.
Once again, I'm looking specifically for scholarship on a phrase that has been used widely and attracted a great deal of scholarly attention for six years now. Absent that, I'd love to see other research that at least allows me to reasonably the phrase's impact.
No, it's merely irrelevant to the question I asked.

This may help you "reasonably the phrase's impact". Its a close shot anyway.

Linguistics professor George Lakoff dissects the "war on terror" and other conservative catchphrases

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2004/08/25_lakoff.shtml

You've said that progressives should never use the phrase "war on terror" — why?

There are two reasons for that. Let's start with "terror." Terror is a general state, and it's internal to a person. Terror is not the person we're fighting, the "terrorist." The word terror activates your fear, and fear activates the strict father model, which is what conservatives want. The "war on terror" is not about stopping you from being afraid, it's about making you afraid.

Next, "war." How many terrorists are there — hundreds? Sure. Thousands? Maybe. Tens of thousands? Probably not. The point is, terrorists are actual people, and relatively small numbers of individuals, considering the size of our country and other countries. It's not a nation-state problem. War is a nation-state problem.

Although Mr.Lakoff doesn't touch on my own reasons for abolishing this phrase, his are just as valid and in the same vein. His reasoning is that the word "terror" is only an enemy within an individual, not a physical group or entity with which to be at "war". Whereas, cowardice is a physical behaviour exhibited by cowards. The kind that make a statement or gain control at any cost - sometimes destroying the lives of innocent, unarmed,unprepared and uninvolved people.

Last edited:
baywax said:
Although Mr.Lakoff doesn't touch on my own reasons for abolishing this phrase, his are just as valid and in the same vein.

A preview of Moral Politics is here. "Valid" is not a description I'd use. Lit review with a grandiose set of hypotheses begging for research proposals" is probably more apt. Less a book-length justification for theorizing Lakoff engages in, you're hypothesis is on even ground with that of Moral Politics. This isn't a flippant distinction. Hypothesis formulation is an important first step in any field, and tends to be extremely verbose in the social sciences (although not nearly this much in linguistics or cogsci).

His reasoning is that the word "terror" is only an enemy within an individual, not a physical group or entity with which to be at "war". Whereas, cowardice is a physical behaviour exhibited by cowards. The kind that make a statement or gain control at any cost - sometimes destroying the lives of innocent, unarmed,unprepared and uninvolved people.

Don't sell yourself short. The man clearly agrees with you that the term terror heightens a sense of fear. Unfortunately, he's doing so on his own authority rather than as a product of actual research. But as best as I can tell, Moral Politics is silent on the word cowardice.

Pelt said:

Just so I understand American justice better: if an Australian lands his private jet in New York then commits 6 murders in New York who is in charge of the investigation of the murders, NYPD, FBI, CIA or a federally appointed group of professional staff members or the Australian police?

If a gang from Miami drives its hummer through a Macy's window New York and unfortunately kills 27 innocent people does the American Automobile Association do the investigation, the Miami Police Department, Florida State Authorities, the NYPD, the FBI, CIA or a federally appointed group of professional staff members?

I don't think that's going to be terribly effective on Al Qaeda. The leadership's seen how the West lives and decided they want something else.

Can you cite research and witnesses to support this claim or is this a personal observation?

They (Al Qaeda) also speak to cultures where households and clan relationships mean a great deal more than in Western countries.

Can you point to any evidence of this or is this personal conjecture?

If setting an example hasn't stopped various overseas crime cultures from setting up hundred million dollar shops in the US, I sincerely doubt it alone can solve the US's public relations problem.

So far the examples offered by western countries have been contradictory at best. While the governments may offer the perception of altruism, and upholding individual freedoms, the corporate cultures are allowed to undermine this reputation through aggressive lobbying and poorly planned foreign development practices that hurt relations with these "other cultures".

Thank you Pelt... very interesting set of problems with all of this.

baywax said:
Just so I understand American justice better: if an Australian lands his private jet in New York then commits 6 murders in New York who is in charge of the investigation of the murders, NYPD, FBI, CIA or a federally appointed group of professional staff members or the Australian police?

If a gang from Miami drives its hummer through a Macy's window New York and unfortunately kills 27 innocent people does the American Automobile Association do the investigation, the Miami Police Department, Florida State Authorities, the NYPD, the FBI, CIA or a federally appointed group of professional staff members?
Depends on the crime. If the Aussie robs a federally insured bank (and they ~all are) the FBI gets involved along with local authorities. If the Aussie kills somebody in NY on the street then only the local (city and/or state) get involved. If the Aussie uses an airplane to destroy buildings its federal again. If the Aussie happens to be a recognized diplomat then its much more complicated, US State Dept gets involved, etc.

baywax said:
Just so I understand American justice better: if an Australian lands his private jet in New York then commits 6 murders in New York who is in charge of the investigation of the murders...

NYPD if the murders are committed within NYC. I'm assuming this isn't an act of terrorism or a crime on property in federal jurisdiction--that is a federal matter and federal agencies have first dibs on crimes that rise to their jurisdiction. Investigating terrorism, for example, is the province of the FBI. Mheslep has already pointed out federal jurisdiction over bank robberies. When he perp is a diplomat, State Department does not have investigative jurisdiction anywhere. In cases where diplomatic or consular immunity attaches, State's only role is to secure a waiver from the sending state. Failing that, State is required to secure the release of a suspect, declare him persona non grata and require he depart, and then forward on behalf of the prosecution and court with subject matter jurisdiction all applicable warrants to international authorities.

Same as above.

Can you cite research and witnesses to support this claim or is this a personal observation?

The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright. Details Al Qaeda's relationship to the teachings of Sayyid Qutb.

Can you point to any evidence of this or is this personal conjecture?

"http://usacac.leavenworth.army.mil/CAC/milreview/English/SepOct07/eisenstadtengseptoct07.pdf ," Lt. Col. Michael Eisenstadt

So far the examples offered by western countries have been contradictory at best. While the governments may offer the perception of altruism, and upholding individual freedoms, the corporate cultures are allowed to undermine this reputation through aggressive lobbying and poorly planned foreign development practices that hurt relations with these "other cultures".

In other words, by your estimate the West is in no position to set an example. Any other recommendations?

Pelt said:
Well, we know significantly more than that. We have footage of the hijackers boarding their aircraft, evidence linking them to al Qaeda, bin Laden's own confession of responsibility for the attacks, two of the men behind the planning of the attacks, etc.

In order for Bin's confession to be admissible it must pass the "LAW OF CONFESSION AND SELF-INCRIMINATION" and a series of tests. I'm sure this law and series of tests will frustrate Bin to the point of having him come in and confess in person, rather than on video...

In order for video evidence to be admissible as evidence there has to be proof it hasn't been tampered with in terms of time, date and editing. Further to that, it must be proven that the subjects are not actors or "patsies" as may be the case.

All that was known 20 minutes into the attack is that it was an attack.

Any references, links to stock footage? I'm still looking for the report that mentions Bin at least an hour or two into the attack.

There's enough evidence in the public record--forensics and witness testimony--to choke horse.

Please link to an inventory of this alleged evidence... or at least the horse.

If your mystery "investigators" are so magical that they can take down the leadership of a well-armed terrorist organization integrated into the armed forces of a hostile nation, then why not scrap the regular services and turn them loose on snowstorms, wildfires and floods as well?

I don't have mystery investigators. I pay my governments (civil etc...) to properly assign effective solutions to problems as they arise. I also pay them to act on the concerns of the nation's citizenry rather than have them act autocratically (or what could be termed tyrannically) .

baywax said:
In order for Bin's confession to be admissible...

Admissible where?

Any references, links to stock footage? I'm still looking for the report that mentions Bin at least an hour or two into the attack.

You yourself can't find some video alleging Bin Laden's involvement by 10:30 AM.
Please link to an inventory of this alleged evidence... or at least the horse.

You've already been provided a link to the 9/11 report. What your asking for is access to the actual evidence chain of custody. You know very well you can't "link" to that (or a "horse" for that matter).

I don't have mystery investigators.

Sure you do. You refuse to name them.

I pay my governments (civil etc...) to properly assign effective solutions to problems as they arise.

And apparently magical ones as well.

I am against preemptive military action in a foreign country. It simply does not work. There are still fundamentalists in the middle east, and there will always be fundamentalist in the middle east. The entire region has been in chaos for almost two thousand years. Our best option is to prevent them from entering our country.

[rant]

Since I'm on the subject I want to address one of the most annoying justifications that Bush's uses for the war on terror. That withdrawing, or backing down in anyway, emboldens the enemy. Bull****! They are already at the point of sacrificing their lives to murder innocent civilians and pledging to eradicate all traces of democracy and freedom from the world. How much more emboldened can you get? Is there any evidence that backing down emboldens terrorists? Has this ever been tried before? Shouldn't we listen to history, which tells us military action in the middle easts promotes terrorism, instead of some baseless speculation?

[/rant]

I don't see war as necessary, but a change in policy is.

I've been reading Robert Fisk's book The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East. It is certainly a dense book with over a 1000 pages.

Publishers Weekly said:
Combining a novelist's talent for atmosphere with a scholar's grasp of historical sweep, foreign correspondent Fisk has written one of the most dense and compelling accounts of recent Middle Eastern history yet. The book opens with a deftly juxtaposed account of Fisk's two interviews with Osama bin Laden. In the first, held in Sudan in 1993, bin Laden declared himself "a construction engineer and an agriculturist." He had no time to train mujahideen, he said; he was busy constructing a highway. In the second, held four years later in Afghanistan, he declared war on the Saudi royal family and America. Fisk, who has lived in and reported on the Middle East since 1976, first for the (London) Times and now for the Independent, possesses deep knowledge of the broader history of the region, which allows him to discuss the Armenian genocide 90 years ago, the 2002 destruction of Jenin, and the battlefields of Iraq with equal aplomb. But it is his stunning capacity for visceral description—he has seen, or tracked down firsthand accounts of, all the major events of the past 25 years—that makes this volume unique. Some of the chapters contain detailed accounts of torture and murder, which more squeamish readers may be inclined to skip, but such scenes are not gratuitous. They are designed to drive home Fisk's belief that "war is primarily not about victory or defeat but about death and the infliction of death." Though Fisk's political stances may sometimes be controversial, no one can deny that this volume is a stunning achievement.

Washington Post said:
This is first of all a book about war -- in particular, the wars that have scarred the Middle East, from Afghanistan to Algeria, throughout the author's long career as a correspondent for the London Times and then the Independent. It switches back and forth across the 20th century in a way that seems driven more by stream of consciousness than by any linear design, and, as befits its topic, it is a book of almost unremitting violence. The author presents himself both as unflinching witness and implacable judge of the events he recounts, for he believes that he is telling a story of unrelenting perfidy and betrayal -- in part a story of Middle Easterners being betrayed by themselves and their leaders, but mostly one of the Middle East being betrayed by the power, greed and arrogance of the West.

Fisk has thrown himself into the fiery pit time after time, often at grave personal risk -- Afghanistan at the beginning of the long struggle against the Soviets, the bloodbath of the 1980s Iran-Iraq War, the civil war in Algeria after 1991, the second Palestinian intifada since the fall of 2000. When he is not personally in the midst of conflict and destruction, he evokes them, as in his lengthy discussion of the Armenian deportations and massacres of World War I or (in a different register) his treatment of the shah of Iran's prisons and torture chambers.

However Fisk regards himself, he is at bottom a war correspondent, and the fabric of his book is woven largely from his battlefield reporting. Fisk's writing on war is vivid, graphic, intense and very personal. Readers will encounter no "collateral damage" here, only homes destroyed and bodies torn to shreds. At times, as one horror is heaped upon another, it all seems too much to absorb or bear.

That intensity is both the book's great strength and one of its principal weaknesses. After reading it, no one can hide from the immense human costs of the decisions made by generals and politicians, Middle Eastern or otherwise. But Fisk portrays the Middle East as a place of such unrelieved violence that the reader can hardly imagine that anyone has enjoyed a single ordinary day there over the past quarter-century. That picture is a serious distortion. Life in the region is far from easy, but in spite of endemic anxiety and frustration, most Middle Easterners, most of the time, are able to get on tolerably well. Fisk says little about more abstract, less violent issues such as economic stagnation, the complexities of political Islam or the status of women. This gap is not a weakness in itself -- Fisk is writing about different themes -- but readers need to be aware that, despite its staggering length, this book is not The Complete Middle East.

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/review/2005/12/16/fisk/index.html

I don't agree with the comment in the Washington Post, "But Fisk portrays the Middle East as a place of such unrelieved violence that the reader can hardly imagine that anyone has enjoyed a single ordinary day there over the past quarter-century." I am amazed at the resiliency of those who find hope and some measure of happiness in an environment of unrelenting violence. Furthermore, I can appreciate the anger of those who have fallen into despair because the Middle East is still subject to the vagaries of Western political (imperial) forces.

A change in policy (one with less, or preferably no violence) is needed.

I'm starting to understand the workings of the American Justice system. Thank you everyone.

Its heartening to note that someone can confess to a crime and still be considered innocent until proven guilty. Its like when someone claims they've "perfected cold fusion" or that they "invented the internet" without proof of their claims. The people want the proof. They don't want to invest 500 billion tax dollars+ and a large number of very brave lives in a claim that is not supported by conclusive proof. Do they?

I don't think the act of war alone is self-defeating. The stream of enemies is endless and taking a pacified stance towards them only gives them the advantage.

Look at American history alone, does the American Revolution war strike to anyone as a meaningless war? What about the Civil War? I think the grounds for going to war is what determines whether the war is just pointless or if it's justifiable.

First of all, I don't think we should define this as a 'war', but more so an operation. A war has opposition. Has Iraq shown any unified opposition? None whatsoever. The day we bombed Baghdad they were pretty much immobilized.

Secondly, while the Iraq operation has been a disaster at the very least we killed a dictator. What kind of long term effects that has is remained to be seen, but if you want to put some sort of meaning around this operation well there it is.

Obviously Osama Bin Laden is still out there and Al-Qaida is still functioning, and if we ever catch Bin Laden I think the consensus on this war will shift. Catching these guys is not a piece of cake.

Do I support the Iraq Operation? No. We've already done what we needed to do. Do I think we should be fighting terrorism with war tactics? Yes.

Pelt said:
How about a John Dower? Where was the Meiji-era Japanese history? Or maybe a Dale Earnhardt Jr. or Peyton Manning. Who on the 9/11 commission was looking out for NFL and NASCAR fans? I mean c'mon, Congress and the President convened the Commission to independently investigate the attacks and make recommendations pertinent to the attacks. It wasn't put together to recommend some form airline lawsuit liability, negotiate with the FDNY unions or NYPD PBA reps to determine proper payouts, or make rulings the admissibility of scientific evidence in a court of law. It existed solely to enumerate a public record of facts and make recommendations therefrom.

I think you missed my point--this was more about having some deep thinkers who owe no political allegiance to anyone. Feynman came to mind because of his brilliance in the shuttle disaster investigation and his dogged determination to not let biz as usual in washington carry the day.

denverdoc said:

Originally Posted by Pelt
denverdoc said:
I think you missed my point
I believe the reply was exactly on point to the first post. I'm a Feynman fan too esp. of his Roger's commission work, but he's gone, he was once in a generation, this is not his field (foreign affairs, covert intelligence, law enforcement) and I think he would have been the first to say so. A more useful criticism would be forwarding the name of someone still walking around that you believe the commission needed.
--this was more about having some deep thinkers who owe no political allegiance to anyone. Feynman came to mind because of his brilliance in the shuttle disaster investigation and his dogged determination to not let biz as usual in Washington carry the day.
There were several scholarly people on http://www.9-11pdp.org/about/bio_kojm.htm" as well as the appointees. Not every commission can have Nobel laureates, though it doesn't need them for success. It does need qualified, impartially minded people.
Kean and Hamilton were both long retired. I don't see where they owe any 'allegiance'. If you mean no political connection at all, well Feynman voted too and I don't see how one recruits national security experts by excluding everyone with any background in the government.