The water in our pet's dish froze in a very unusual manner overnight

• Thread starter Doug Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses a strange ice formation that occurred in a pet's water dish overnight when the temperature was 17 degrees Fahrenheit. The ice formation resembles a stalagmite and is about 1.75 inches tall. The group discusses possible explanations, with some suggesting it could be caused by dripping water or by the way water freezes. One person shares a link to the phenomenon called "ice spikes" and mentions that they are somewhat rare. The conversation also includes references to similar occurrences in the past and the potential implications of water expanding when cooled from 4C to 0C. Overall, they are intrigued by this unusual ice formation and continue to discuss possible explanations.
Doug Scott
The water in our pets dish froze in a very unusual manner overnight.

It looks like a stelagmite, it's about 1.75 inches tall. Overnight low was 17 degrees Fahrenheit. No foreign objects present in the water.

Has anyone seen this, or have an explanation?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 476
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
its outside, something was dripping into it.

Hepth said:
its outside, something was dripping into it.
That was my first thought, but that's not likely since there's nothing over it to drip from.

do you have a better picture? honestly in that i barely see anything other than a glare from the sun and maybe a small bump.

Hard to tell looking at the picture, but such things happen now and then. It is a combination of several factors - water has to freeze on the surface and on the edges first in such a way, that the connection between ice and the vessel is wateproof. Then when water freezes it pushes itself outside through a final opening, freezing on the edges - and that creates a tube sticking out. You should be able to google images with a correct selection of keywords.

Likes einswine and Jeff Rosenbury
It happens quite often and has to do with the way the water freezes. I'm not sure whether I still get it right. The water freezes outside-in. Since it freezes simultaneously from the ground to the top and freezing water requires more volume than liquid, some water is pushed up in the center where it's still liquid and then freezing in the air.

It's called an "ice spike".
They are somewhat rare, so even very old people like myself don't see them until we are very old.

Interesting ice formation [ref: pf, about a week ago]

I haven't checked the entire history of PF, but I think this question comes up every year, around this time.

Strange ice formation [ref: pf, November 2008]

And fellow oldsters, like myself, were also baffled by them.
Strange Ice cube behavior
August, 2007
turbo said:
That is formed by deposition from above. Drip, drip, drip. Think stalagmite.
[Wrong! ----^]
russ_watters said:
Wow, I'd never heard of those things either. Learn something new...

[edit] Although, turbo was somewhat correct. A similar phenomenon occurs when you leave your outdoor faucet on, to keep it from freezing. I made one just last week!

the Weather channel program "Strangest Weather on Earth" did a spot on this very thing and explained it well, better than I could. Same thing happened last week in my ice cube tray in the freezer, does NOT happen every time, conditions have to be special. Check out the weather channel.

I believe water expands when cooled from 4C to 0C (in other words, heat DOES NOT rise)..
The way I could see this happening is that if it started to freeze and the water below was warm(ish) still, there'd be a point where the ice on the top leaves only a small hole of water, it freezes the edges of the hole, and meanwhile the rest of the water is still expanding since it's cooling from 4C to 0C, this expansion has to go somewhere, so it pushes water out of the small remaining hole, continually freezing around the edges, and forming an upside down icicle.

Water expanding when cooled from 4C to 0C and heat sinking at those temperatures has many implications, and one is the reason it's hard to melt snow in a pan, the heat sinks.. Another is that the bottom of a lake will stay warm enough for fish to survive the winter.

Rx7man said:
the rest of the water is still expanding since it's cooling from 4C to 0C

Much more important is expansion on solidification.

1. Why did the water in our pet's dish freeze in a strange way overnight?

There are a few possible reasons for this phenomenon. One possibility is that the temperature dropped to a specific point that allowed for a unique type of ice formation. Another possibility is that there were impurities in the water that caused it to freeze differently. Additionally, factors like air pressure and wind can also contribute to unusual ice formations.

2. Is it safe for my pet to drink the frozen water in their dish?

In general, it is safe for your pet to drink the frozen water in their dish. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and provide your pet with fresh water. If the ice is discolored or has any strange odors, it is best to dispose of it and give your pet clean water.

3. Can freezing water in a pet's dish be harmful for them?

In most cases, freezing water in a pet's dish is not harmful for them. However, if your pet is used to drinking room temperature or warm water, the sudden change in temperature may cause them to become sick. It is always best to provide your pet with water that is at a comfortable temperature for them.

4. How can I prevent the water in my pet's dish from freezing in unusual ways?

One way to prevent the water in your pet's dish from freezing in strange ways is to bring the dish inside at night if possible. Keeping the dish in a warmer location can prevent extreme drops in temperature. You can also try using a heated water dish or placing a cover over the dish to trap heat and prevent freezing.

5. Does the unusual freezing of water in a pet's dish indicate a problem with the water or the dish itself?

In most cases, the unusual freezing of water in a pet's dish does not indicate a problem with the water or the dish itself. As mentioned before, there are various factors that can contribute to unique ice formations. However, if you notice a consistent pattern of strange freezing or if the ice consistently has a strange color or odor, it may be worth investigating further to ensure the safety of your pet.