1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The wave nature of light

1. Jun 2, 2003 #1

Dx

Hello,

A monochromatic light is incident on a Youngs double spilt setup that has a slit seperation of 30um. the resultant bridge fringe seperation if 2.15cm on a 1.2 m from the double slit. what is the seperation between the 3rd order bright fringe and the 0th order bright fringe?

I know that d=30um, L=1.2m and m=0, 3 orders. ao using x_1=L[the]_1 = 1.2(?)=2.15 = 17.92
    I think im lost on what there trying to get me to solve for ie. what is the seperation between the 3rd order bright fringe and the 0th order bright fringe? what do they mean? I have this formula sin[the]= m[lamb] /d. How do i solve for it, i must be close, right?
    Plz help?
    Dx :wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2003 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They mean, "How far apart on the screen are those two fringes?"

OK, now use geometry. Draw the setup, and you will have a triangle with one angle θ and the unknown distance opposite that angle.

4. Jun 2, 2003 #3

Dx

Thats it tom.
    You make it too easy, i got 8.60cm as my answer. is that correct?
    Thanks!
    Dx :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?