Explore The Way of Dragon: E-Books for Engineering & Physics

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary: If you're still interested in studying these, you might want to look into "Foundations of Modern Physics" or another book that covers all of those topics.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi
In my one year search for good e-books(don't ask why not books),I found a lot of interesting of them (don't ask for uploading them for you,its against copy right law).
So now I feel I have enough to start.So I designed a plan for my summer.I just want your ideas.
Code:
First-Handbook_of_Mathematics_for_Engineers_and_Scientists 1543
Second-Einstein's General Theory of Relativity 539
Third-Quantum Mechanics 267
Fourth-Advanced Quantum Mechanics 346
Fifth-Introduction to String theory 79
Sixth-New Branches of String Compactifications and their F-Theory Duals 41
Seventh	-Basics of M theory 96
The numbers in front of them are the number of pages.
I also have two other named «M-Theory Dynamics On A Manifold of G2 Holonomy» and «M Theory As A Matrix Model».I just don't know should I read them.If yes could you tell me which one should I read first?
Thanks to all posters

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first e-book is more than enough for a single summer.

Furthermore, WAY too little maths to even begin reading the other books.

Code:
Series
Differential Geometry
Functions of Complex Variable
Integral Transforms
Ordinary Differential Equations
First-Order Partial Differential Equations
Linear Partial Differential Equations
Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations
Integral Equations
Difference Equations and Other Functional Equations
Special Functions and Their Properties(like error functions,gamma function and ...)
Calculus of Variations and Optimization
Probability Theory
Mathematical Statistics
These are the chapters of that math e-book.which one do I need to be able to understand those physics books?
thanks again

You need all of them plus the contents of several graduate level math classes to even hope to study string theory.

Please don't tell me I need numbers theory and linear algebra,too!

linear algebra is a big must for any study of quantum mechanics

I don't think a "handbook" of mathematics will be very useful to you for learning. Get a good book on mathematics for physicists, like M. Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences", and learn everything in it. It should occupy you for the whole summer, or more, depending on your background.

Since you say you haven't even studied linear algebra yet, you are years away from being in a position to understand a book titled "New Branches of String Compactifications and their F-Theory Duals". You've chosen the wrong books to study. If you're in college, ask a professor for advice, or ask here. If you tell us what your background in physics and mathematics is, we can help you with what topics to study, books etc.

You may tell me to give up when I tell you I haven't finished high school yet.But I won't.I just know a little of math more than the thing that the I learned in high school.I don't know what do you study in your high school so I tell you the topics of the things that I have learned from high school up to now.limits,derivatives and their usage like curve sketching,definite integral,probability,statistics,sets and geometry(all 2d just a bit of 3d),a little of trigonometry,logs,abs and of course algebra.
And dx why its not?
And please introduce PDFs because I'm not in your country to buy the books that you know and I have no online cash to buy it from amazon or sth like it.or if you know no useful PDFs,tell me the topics that I need to study about,then I'll find the PDFs myself.Oh and I have PDFs about linear algebra and number theory,too.
One last question is that do I need discrete mathematics,too?

SmashtheVan said:
linear algebra is a big must for any study of quantum mechanics

Quantum mechanics is linear algebra. With a dash of differential equations.

Shyan said:
One last question is that do I need discrete mathematics,too?

Depends what you want to do. If you want to go into math, of course. And it never hurts to know "discrete math".

Here's what I recommend:

"Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba

"Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler

"Real Analysis: A First Course" by Gordon

This is about 3/4 of a first university semester in math.

EDIT: I just saw that you want to study physics. You might want to skip the analysis book. I would recommend it anyway, but friends of mine who graduated from math+physics said the analysis stuff were never used in physics.

Shyan said:
And dx why its not?

Handbooks are usually reference works intended for people already familiar with the material, so they are not suitable as textbooks.

If analysis contains limits,derivatives and integrals I must tell you that even I with a slight knowledge of physics know that its really useful.I must tell that I want to study modern physics that is relativity,quantum mechanics,string theory and M-theory and I know that to understand at least one of them I need mathematical analysis.I think your friends meant other branches of physics.

So that's because I found it difficult!

Analysis contains the rigorous proofs of limits, derivatives, integrals and more exotic stuff like measures, metric spaces, etc. I would be surprised if they are used in physics. Perhaps a resident physicist can enlighten us?

Again, it can't HURT you to learn it.

Also, since you're still in high school, make sure you learn your basics well, like Newtonian mechanics, electromagnetism etc. You shouldn't be thinking about string theory right now, since it's a very advanced area, and is not even studied by most undergraduate students.

Why not?I always believed(and I do now) that the things that are related to the abilities of a human can't be impossible.

Thanks dragonfall but as I said I'm in in the country that the posters of this thread do,so I can't buy books that you suggest and I don't have online cash to deal with sth like amazon.so could you inroduce PDFs thanks

What about libraries?

Shyan said:
Why not?I always believed(and I do now) that the things that are related to the abilities of a human can't be impossible.
I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage you to read these books, but more or less are trying to push you in a direction to learn background before you move advanced topics.

"You've got to learn to walk before you can run, and crawl before you can walk"

right now you're at the relatively early "crawl" stage

it won't hurt you to not take anyones advice here and read these books this summer without background material, but to fully grasp concepts, ideas, and the math involved, it would be in your best interest to be patient and start slow.

Hey don't ask about them because the answer will make you cry.

Ok but I meant tell me what to do and what to read not to stop.

Shyan said:

No one is telling you to stop, but without Calculus I/II/III, linear algebra and differential equations most physics is inaccessible to you and you'll need even more math for graduate level physics.

Shyan said:

No on is telling you this is impossible or anything its just that it takes a regular undergrad some 3 - 4 years to even begin learning the things you would like to learn. So what makes you think you can it in less. As the previous poster said, if you're just above high school mathematics you haven't even the slightest chance of knowing or even understanding the topics you'd like to learn even if you studied one year straight from now.

Its not that we're trying to put you down, but facts are facts...if you don't like them, then too bad.

Stewart's calculus is quite a good book. Rigorous, has a gazillion of exercises, examples of applications, etc. You should know it by heart, do as many exercises as you can. Physics is literally stuffed with math.

Shyan said:
Hey don't ask about them because the answer will make you cry.

You don't have libraries? Where do you live? If you are serious about learning the topics you posted then there's no substitute for real, hardcopy books. Ebooks IMO are never as good as their real counterparts.

Just get easier (I.E. beginner) eBooks, lol. You are basically trying to jump from point A to point Z. That's what people are telling you.

You aren't going to learn ANYTHING from ANY of the books you originally posted.

As everyone has already said, no one is telling you can't do it. But if you just read the initial math book you suggested you will find that when you open any of the other books on that list you will get extraordinarily frustrated and potentially quit. Which is what no one wants. Now your average physics student would need 4ish years of undergraduate university and 2ish years of graduate school before hitting some of those books. However, given what I'm inferring your interests are, I'd say Stewart's calculus and an introductory linear algebra book and you can start an introductory text in quantum mechanics (for example, Griffiths) in short order. Noone's trying to tell you to stop but your suggested syllabus may be a little ambitious

Dragonfall said:
Analysis contains the rigorous proofs of limits, derivatives, integrals and more exotic stuff like measures, metric spaces, etc. I would be surprised if they are used in physics. Perhaps a resident physicist can enlighten us?

Again, it can't HURT you to learn it.
If your thinking of seriously studying string theory than analysis is not exotic nor would topology. Analysis is one of the first courses were true mathematical rigor is beginning to be enforced how do you expect to understand higher level abstract math when your too scared or lazy to do what really is not much more than abstract/rigorous calculus.

Shyan said:

With the math you know now or could learn in the next summer looking at a string theory book is no different than looking at a book for the funny symbols.

Hey dragon we have libraries but I meant the part that is related to our interests are really old.I think they are for 1990 or even older and you know the funny part.They publish this books as new ones and sell them in bookstores,too.And ohh no.This was for bookstores.in the libraries you will find books about math and physics that are old in publishing,let alone writing.You know why?
Because my people always want to waste their time.A good teenager is someone who studys his or her school textbooks well.A good man is someone who gains a lot of money to spend for his family(of course legally)a good woman is someone who does the house chores well.If I tell someone that I know even this slight things about math and physics,he or she will laugh at me.I must tell that unfortunately sciences are have a little fans.If you tell someone that somebody loves i.e. physics that person thinks that you mean s\he has good grades in school physics exam.So maybe I consider it as a duty to make my country's situation better.maybe that's because I'm in a harry(just one of the reasons)
anyway our school really progresses in math and physics slowly.And the bad part is that we will study the things,that we learn in high school,in university,too.So I think its a real waste of time.
And one worse thing.In our country to enter to a university you must give an exam called conquer(we pronunce it konkoor).It contains all the things in high school and they are categorized in major categories:math,physics,chemistry,Farsi,arabics,english and theism.The math part contains all math related concepts in high school.geometry and others.The questions has four options to choose from and they're really hard question.
Every year about one million people take part in it and if you want to go to a good university and study in a good branch your rank must be less than 10000 between that million.So almost all students when finish their third grade of high school start to study for konkoor and they do it as they are studying in pre-university level and you should study pre-university for konkoor,too.And the bad part.I finished my third grade of high school today.So I must start to study for konkoor.Last night I thought a lot and decided to stop it because I think you are really experienced in this field so I think I must obey you and give up with the hope that I can get a good rank and go to a good university and study physics.I guess its time for me to tell you goodbye(if I will be able to withstand being far from physics)So :
GOOD-BYE
(Excuse me for lasting it too long)

Shyan said:
I think I must obey you and give up with the hope that I can get a good rank and go to a good university and study physics.I guess its time for me to tell you goodbye(if I will be able to withstand being far from physics)So :
GOOD-BYE

Again, no one told you to give up they simply told you to start at the beginning. Pick up a good calculus textbook that continues where high school left off and you will have plenty of stuff to do during the summer.

I'm not telling you to give up. If passing this "conquer" is the best way to get into a university then I suggest start studying for that, instead of self-studying physics. Remember it's not the end of the world if you fail, as there are other ways to higher education, but it's worth it to try.

Good luck!

p.s., Shyan check your PM.

Last edited:
Hey dragon in my country its the only way to enter the higher education.If you know another way,I would be extremely happy to know that.

Go study at a university in another country.