1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The way of dragon

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Hi
    In my one year search for good e-books(don't ask why not books),I found a lot of interesting of them (don't ask for uploading them for you,its against copy right law).
    So now I feel I have enough to start.So I designed a plan for my summer.I just want your ideas.
    Code (Text):
    First-Handbook_of_Mathematics_for_Engineers_and_Scientists 1543
    Second-Einstein's General Theory of Relativity 539
    Third-Quantum Mechanics 267
    Fourth-Advanced Quantum Mechanics 346
    Fifth-Introduction to String theory 79
    Sixth-New Branches of String Compactifications and their F-Theory Duals 41
    Seventh -Basics of M theory 96
    The numbers in front of them are the number of pages.
    I also have two other named «M-Theory Dynamics On A Manifold of G2 Holonomy» and «M Theory As A Matrix Model».I just don't know should I read them.If yes could you tell me which one should I read first?
    Thanks to all posters

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your first e-book is more than enough for a single summer.

Furthermore, WAY too little maths to even begin reading the other books.

4. Jun 9, 2009 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Code (Text):
    Series
    Differential Geometry
    Functions of Complex Variable
    Integral Transforms
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    First-Order Partial Differential Equations
    Linear Partial Differential Equations
    Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations
    Integral Equations
    Difference Equations and Other Functional Equations
    Special Functions and Their Properties(like error functions,gamma function and ...)
    Calculus of Variations and Optimization
    Probability Theory
    Mathematical Statistics

These are the chapters of that math e-book.which one do I need to be able to understand those physics books?
    thanks again

5. Jun 9, 2009 #4

Vid

You need all of them plus the contents of several graduate level math classes to even hope to study string theory.

6. Jun 9, 2009 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Please don't tell me I need numbers theory and linear algebra,too!

7. Jun 9, 2009 #6
    linear algebra is a big must for any study of quantum mechanics

8. Jun 9, 2009 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think a "handbook" of mathematics will be very useful to you for learning. Get a good book on mathematics for physicists, like M. Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences", and learn everything in it. It should occupy you for the whole summer, or more, depending on your background.

Since you say you haven't even studied linear algebra yet, you are years away from being in a position to understand a book titled "New Branches of String Compactifications and their F-Theory Duals". You've chosen the wrong books to study. If you're in college, ask a professor for advice, or ask here. If you tell us what your background in physics and mathematics is, we can help you with what topics to study, books etc.

9. Jun 9, 2009 #8

ShayanJ

Gold Member

You may tell me to give up when I tell you I haven't finished high school yet.But I won't.I just know a little of math more than the thing that the I learnt in high school.I don't know what do you study in your high school so I tell you the topics of the things that I have learnt from high school up to now.limits,derivatives and their usage like curve sketching,definite integral,probability,statistics,sets and geometry(all 2d just a bit of 3d),a little of trigonometry,logs,abs and of course algebra.
    And dx why its not?
    And please introduce PDFs because i'm not in your country to buy the books that you know and I have no online cash to buy it from amazon or sth like it.or if you know no useful PDFs,tell me the topics that I need to study about,then I'll find the PDFs myself.Oh and I have PDFs about linear algebra and number theory,too.
    One last question is that do I need discrete mathematics,too?

10. Jun 9, 2009 #9
    Quantum mechanics is linear algebra. With a dash of differential equations.

Depends what you want to do. If you want to go into math, of course. And it never hurts to know "discrete math".

Here's what I recommend:

"Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba

"Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler

"Real Analysis: A First Course" by Gordon

This is about 3/4 of a first university semester in math.

EDIT: I just saw that you want to study physics. You might wanna skip the analysis book. I would recommend it anyway, but friends of mine who graduated from math+physics said the analysis stuff were never used in physics.

11. Jun 9, 2009 #10

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Handbooks are usually reference works intended for people already familiar with the material, so they are not suitable as textbooks.

12. Jun 9, 2009 #11

ShayanJ

Gold Member

If analysis contains limits,derivatives and integrals I must tell you that even I with a slight knowledge of physics know that its really useful.I must tell that I wanna study modern physics that is relativity,quantum mechanics,string theory and M-theory and I know that to understand at least one of them I need mathematical analysis.I think your friends meant other branches of physics.

13. Jun 9, 2009 #12

ShayanJ

Gold Member

So that's because I found it difficult!

14. Jun 9, 2009 #13
    Analysis contains the rigorous proofs of limits, derivatives, integrals and more exotic stuff like measures, metric spaces, etc. I would be surprised if they are used in physics. Perhaps a resident physicist can enlighten us?

Again, it can't HURT you to learn it.

15. Jun 9, 2009 #14

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, since you're still in high school, make sure you learn your basics well, like Newtonian mechanics, electromagnetism etc. You shouldn't be thinking about string theory right now, since it's a very advanced area, and is not even studied by most undergraduate students.

16. Jun 9, 2009 #15

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Why not?I always believed(and I do now) that the things that are related to the abilities of a human can't be impossible.

17. Jun 9, 2009 #16

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Thanks dragonfall but as I said I'm in in the country that the posters of this thread do,so I can't buy books that you suggest and I don't have online cash to deal with sth like amazon.so could you inroduce PDFs thanks

18. Jun 9, 2009 #17
    What about libraries?

19. Jun 9, 2009 #18

I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage you to read these books, but more or less are trying to push you in a direction to learn background before you move advanced topics.

"You've gotta learn to walk before you can run, and crawl before you can walk"

right now you're at the relatively early "crawl" stage

it wont hurt you to not take anyones advice here and read these books this summer without background material, but to fully grasp concepts, ideas, and the math involved, it would be in your best interest to be patient and start slow.

20. Jun 9, 2009 #19

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Hey don't ask about them because the answer will make you cry.

21. Jun 9, 2009 #20

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Ok but I meant tell me what to do and what to read not to stop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook