Deriving Schrodinger Eq. from Complex Plane Wave: Erwin's Way

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
In summary: Sorry about that.In summary, the Schrodinger equation can be derived by assuming that a particle's wave-like behavior is due to its potential energy. However, this assumption is not always valid, and one must eventually resort to classical mechanics in order to solve the equation.
snoopies622
I see how one can arrive at the Schrodinger equation by starting with a complex plane wave

[tex]

\psi = \psi _0 e ^{i(k \cdot x - \omega t)}

[/tex]

taking its first partial derivative with respect to time, second partial derivative with respect to space, making the quantum substitutions

[tex]
k=p/ \hbar \hspace{10 mm} \omega = E / \hbar
[/tex]

as well as the classical one

[tex]

E=p^2/2m + V(x,y,z)

[/tex]

and putting it all together.

But why does this work when the [itex] \psi [/itex]'s that one finds in quantum mechanics are typically not plane waves? Luck? I've read that one should accept the Schrodinger equation as an axiom and not worry about "deriving" it, and yet...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just plug it back in, and you will see your solution is not valid because of the potential V.

Namely, the first partial derivative with respect to x is:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} e^{i (kx - (\frac{p^2}{2m}+V(x)))} = (ik - iV'(x))e^{i (kx - (\frac{p^2}{2m}+V(x)))}[/tex]

The second one will be even more complicated. So your solution doesn't satisfy the schroedinger equation at all!

A second reason why you can see this: you're trying to find the energy eigenfunctions. The energy eigenvalues that you find are not allowed to depend on x. They should be constants. But in your case E clearly depends on [itex]V(x)[/itex].

Actually, since the total energy of a particle in a conservative field is assumed to be constant even if it moves around the field,

[tex]

\frac {p^2}{2m} + V(x)

[/tex]

is a constant and

[tex]

\frac {\partial}{\partial x} ( \frac {p^2}{2m} + V(x) ) = 0.

[/tex]

Does anyone else out there have any thoughts about this? It looks to me like one can in fact derive the Schrodinger equation by assuming that [itex] \psi [/itex] is a complex plane wave, even though the solutions to it are for the most part not plane waves. Does that make sense? Was the equation a kind of educated guess that happened to work with spectacular success?

Schrödinger didn't use this particular "derivation," but his own "derivation" was indeed an "educated guess." See this post for a summary of what Schrödinger actually did.

Thanks, jtbell; that looks very interesting. Maybe I can find the original paper translated into English at my local physics library.

Aside: To those for whom such things matter, I would like to apologize for the rather silly title I've given this thread. "The ways of Erwin" was the dummy title I was using while I tested the LaTeX. I was going to change it to something more specific like, "on the origin of the Schrodinger equation", but before I did I accidentally hit something or other on the computer I was using (not mine) and posted the question. I know one can edit a post, but if there's a way to change a thread title I never learned about it.

1. How did Erwin Schrodinger come up with the idea of using complex plane waves to derive his equation?

Erwin Schrodinger was influenced by the work of Louis de Broglie, who proposed that particles could also exhibit wave-like properties. Schrodinger combined this idea with the concept of Hamiltonian mechanics, which describes the behavior of particles in terms of energy and momentum, to develop his equation.

2. What is the significance of using complex numbers in the derivation of Schrodinger's equation?

Complex numbers allow for the representation of both the amplitude and phase of a wave, which is crucial in describing the behavior of quantum particles. This allows Schrodinger's equation to accurately describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. How does the complex plane wave representation differ from the traditional plane wave representation?

The traditional plane wave representation only takes into account the real part of the wave function, while the complex plane wave representation includes both the real and imaginary parts. This allows for a more complete description of the wave and its behavior.

4. Can Schrodinger's equation be derived without using complex plane waves?

Yes, there are other approaches to deriving Schrodinger's equation, such as using the wave function or the path integral formulation. However, the use of complex plane waves is a mathematically elegant and powerful approach that simplifies the equation and allows for a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.

5. How has Schrodinger's equation revolutionized our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level?

Schrodinger's equation is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics and has allowed for the accurate prediction of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It has also led to the development of many important technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).