Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Web's 20th anniversary!

1. May 1, 2013 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Development of the protocol and software started at CERN in 1989, and they were already being used for sharing experimental data, but the project didn't "go public" until 30 April 1993. To mark the anniversary, CERN has reconstructed its first public Web site:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Web page writing was so much simpler then.

Also unfortunately, off-site links are those of twenty years ago and have moved on as well another problem with past websites keeping up with other sites.

4. May 1, 2013 #3

jtbell

Yes, the original case of "link rot." :biggrin:

My first web site in 1996 (iirc) wasn't very complicated, either. No images at all, except as downloads behind links, because I had only an ASCII text mode browser (Lynx). Now I use CSS to produce a two-column layout, and style the headings a bit, but still almost no on-page images.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. May 1, 2013 #4

Borek

Have you ever used Gopher?

6. May 1, 2013 #5

jtbell

Yes, our first web server's predecessor was a Gopher server that I installed in early 1993, during spring break I think. It was shortly afterward that I started reading about the WWW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook