Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The weight of a frozen object

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    Hi just out of interest. I accidentally froze 2 cans of lager. When I remembered they were in the fridge I got them out, they felt heavier, so I decided to weigh them. I compared this to two unfrozen cans of the same brand. The frozen was heavier. I know that the mass can't of changed? So how can two frozen larger cans weigh more than two room temperature ones? I assume the can is aluminum.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2
    They can't. The only possibility is the addition of frost stuck to the outside of the cans.
    The hotter an object is the more it should weigh. The difference is tiny. The reason is that weight relates not just to mass but to the total energy of the object. That is the mass-equivalent energy plus the heat energy plus any rotational energy plus any other energy. The mass is many orders of magnitude greater than the others.

4. May 10, 2010 #3
    thanks map19 for your input.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook