What does 'the weird turn pro' mean?

• Thread starter achyuxiaoyu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
I thought it meant that when things got difficult, the wise person got out of there. I can see now that is an old-fashioned and sexist interpretation.In summary, the phrase "When the going gets tough, the tough get going" is a paraphrase of a quote from Attorney General John Mitchell during the Watergate scandal. It means that when faced with difficult situations, strong and resilient individuals rise to the challenge and perform at a professional level. It is often used in a humorous or ironic way as a play on words.
achyuxiaoyu
Hello:
I wanted to know what does the phrase, "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" means. Actually I understood the first part of it. But the second part "the weird turn pro" is not clear to me. What does the word "weird" stand for, here?

Any answer is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, pro is short for professional. The saying means that when a situation becomes weird, people who had exhibited an amateurish level of weirdness, will now perform at a professional level.

Thanks a lot, jimmysnyder, and can you tell me much more about the background of this phrase?

achyuxiaoyu said:
Thanks a lot, jimmysnyder, and can you tell me much more about the background of this phrase?
The correct phrase is "when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

You're quote is apparently a play by a journalist named Hunter S. Thompson on the original quote

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hunter S. Thompson

Perhaps not a "play" but a bastardization... The guy's brain was fried most hours of the day... which certainly makes his writing interesting.

physics girl phd said:
Perhaps not a "play" but a bastardization... The guy's brain was fried most hours of the day... which certainly makes his writing interesting.
Very true. :biggrin:

achyuxiaoyu said:
can you tell me much more about the background of this phrase?
As posted by Evo, this quote is a paraphrase of "When the going gets tough, the tough get going". I first heard this phrase during the Watergate scandal when Attorney General John Mitchell was quoted as having said it. I did not realize until now that he did not originate the saying. Here is a site with some earlier references.

http://lloyd.emich.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0212a&L=ads-l&D=1&H=1&F=&S=&P=3605

I had trouble understanding the saying at first because like some others, I associated the phrase "get going" with "run away" as in the admittedly sexist expression: "The only way to fight a woman is with your hat. Grab it and get going."

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the context of the phrase "the weird turn pro"?

The phrase "the weird turn pro" was coined by American journalist and author Hunter S. Thompson in his 1971 book, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. It refers to a state of mind where one embraces and fully indulges in the strange and chaotic aspects of life.

2. What does "the weird turn pro" mean in relation to Thompson's work?

In Thompson's work, "the weird turn pro" is often used to describe the point where his characters descend into madness and recklessness. It can also be seen as a metaphor for embracing the unconventional and rejecting societal norms.

3. Is there a deeper meaning to "the weird turn pro"?

The exact meaning of "the weird turn pro" is subjective and open to interpretation. Some see it as a commentary on the counterculture movement of the 1960s, while others view it as a reflection of Thompson's personal struggles with drugs and alcohol.

4. How does "the weird turn pro" relate to Thompson's writing style?

Thompson's writing style is known for its surreal and exaggerated nature, often blurring the lines between reality and fiction. "The weird turn pro" can be seen as a representation of this style, as his characters fully immerse themselves in their own twisted realities.

5. Does "the weird turn pro" have any relevance outside of Thompson's work?

The phrase has become a popular cultural reference and has been used in various contexts, from music lyrics to political speeches. It is often used to describe a moment of chaos or unexpected turn of events.