The What is It? Game continued

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, a woman in a white dress is standing next to a window with her face partially blocked by something. Some people think she looks like a Vulcan, while others think she's on the phone.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The "What is It?" Game continued

This picture reminded me of our old "What is It?" game. This was in the news recently. Can anyone guess what it is? If you guess it, you or another member can post their "what is it?". It can be either a picture or a question.

I'll even give a hint "think outer space".

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9192/thingkk2.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HAL?

af;ljl;akj;lfdk

need bigger picture

ice109 said:
need bigger picture
I tried, but on this Commodore 64, it's the best I can do. You don't know what I had to do to get this picture. You can enlarge it, you know.

BTW, can someone with better photo software please enlarge this and post it? Thanks!

Is it a dog chasing its tail at the speed of light?

This will be very cool if they can get it to work in real life. Well, they had this piece run for almost 4 hours, that's what the news was about.

Ok, think "propulsion".

Don't you guys look at the cool space photos on the internet? :grumpy:

How many give up or don't care?

Let's see show of hands.

CERN?

Nope it looks like the corridor in 2001 between the two ships but it isn't they were triangular or trapezoid I think?

Real science huh?

A toroidal fusion engine?

Last edited:
Think plasma.

Evo said:
Think plasma.

Star shedding its outer layers?

The only thing that I can come up with that was in the news recently was a plasma engine. But the pictures don't look anything like the one you posted.

Costa Rica-based scientists from the Ad Astra Rocket Company have run a Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket (VASIMR) engine continuously for over four hours, thereby setting a new record for the tech.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/14/plasma_engine_test/

The outer ring in your picture seems to be segmented as if man made or a picture taken through a device that has a segmented rim.

The color looks like pictures of objects taken with an space X ray telescope.

Whatever it is it is definitely symmetrical.

edward said:
The only thing that I can come up with that was in the news recently was a plasma engine. But the pictures don't look anything like the one you posted.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/14/plasma_engine_test/

The outer ring in your picture seems to be segmented as if man made or a picture taken through a device that has a segmented rim.

The color looks like pictures of objects taken with an space X ray telescope.

Whatever it is it is definitely symmetrical.
Excellent!

The picture is from their press release.

http://www.adastrarocket.com/AdAstraPressRelease061207-2.pdf

This is a great picture.

http://www.msnbc.com/modules/interactive.aspx?type=ss&launch=19810770,2&pg=2

Ohh I said a fusion engine, do I get a consolation prize for being close? :smile:[/quote]Yes, I almost gave it to you, but was looking for the one that had done the 3 hour test in particular. Too picky I guess.

I'm waiting for image shack to come up so I can post another.

Very cool, Evo. I guess it's edward's turn to give us another one

Here is a larger picture:
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8232/safari004mu0.jpg [Broken]

Great pics Evo

OK here is another one. The clue is that the pic is located at newscientist.com. LOL duh, and it also involves outer space.

dn8963-1_444.jpg

Hint: The sublect is very dark

neutrino

Perfecto my friend, those Chanda images fascinate me.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8963

Okay, here's an obscure one compared to the earlier photos.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1220/wiipicsn3.jpg [Broken]

This picture was in the news last year. I'm not exactly asking you identify all the people in the picture (well, you get bragging rights if you do), but the answer involves one person from the picture.

Hint: Arts

Just a stab - is the fellow with the spectacles Edgar Degas?

The old man in the middle front reminds me of Schopenhauer, would that be correct?

Not quite, guys. ;) Here's another hint: Music.

looks like a really old Berlioz to me.

Huh, in the top left, there appears to be a woman in white standing up next to the window with a hand raised to her face. Does anyone else see that?

Evo said:
Huh, in the top left, there appears to be a woman in white standing up next to the window with a hand raised to her face. Does anyone else see that?

She looks vulcan, or she could be on a cell phone.

Kurdt said:
She looks vulcan, or she could be on a cell phone.
Actually, it does look like she's holding something in her hand that's covering part of her face. I have a dark filter on this monitor, it's hard to see.

Neither Liszt nor Berlioz. Think Classical. A further clue: No famous composers are in the picture.

Think historical progression, of photography, too. Unless that print was from a tintype, it probably was early 1860s or after. I admit that I'm still stumped though. The fellow leaning to one side looks like Arturo Toscanini in the face, but I don't know if he wore glasses when he was younger. He never seemed to be photographed wearing any when he was older, either.

Last edited:
Ok guys I admit that I found it accidently while searching along the lines of several unknown classical music scores that were found in 06.

A Mozart score was one of them.

I have a busy day lined up, anyone who wants to post the next "what is it" can feel free.

edward said:
It is a daguerreotype. Mozart's window and friends are in the picture.

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/07/photo-of-mozarts-widow-found-in.html

I think that your link shows that this is a fraud, though. Dags are very sensitive to viewing angle, and it would be tough to photograph one well enough to make a print like this and not show the metallic sheen of the emulsion. I did photography for antiques for auction, and dags were REALLY tough. in 1840, there was no photographic process capable of producing a glass-plate negative that could later be printed, so this photo should be post-1850s at the earliest, after the development of the wet collodion process when paper positives could be made.

I must say, though, that you did a remarkable job tracking down the image.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I think that your link shows that this is a fraud, though. Dags are very sensitive to viewing angle, and it would be tough to photograph one well enough to make a print like this and not show the metallic sheen of the emulsion. I did photography for antiques for auction, and dags were REALLY tough. in 1840, there was no photographic process capable of producing a glass-plate negative that could later be printed, so this photo should be post-1850s at the earliest, after the development of the wet collodion process when paper positives could be made.

I must say, though, that you did a remarkable job tracking down the image.

I also read that the type of lens that was used to make this type of picture was not yet avaliable in 1840. Why is it that I feel bad about bursting everyones bubble.?:cry:

<h2>1. What is "The What is It? Game continued"?</h2><p>"The What is It? Game continued" is a popular scientific game that challenges players to identify various objects based on their characteristics and properties. It is a fun and educational way to learn about different scientific concepts and improve critical thinking skills.</p><h2>2. How do you play "The What is It? Game continued"?</h2><p>To play "The What is It? Game continued", a player must first select an object and describe its characteristics and properties without revealing its name. The other players then have to guess what the object is based on the given clues. The player who correctly guesses the object wins a point and gets to choose the next object to describe.</p><h2>3. What types of objects can be used in "The What is It? Game continued"?</h2><p>Any type of object can be used in "The What is It? Game continued", as long as it has distinct characteristics and properties that can be described. This can include everyday items, scientific tools, natural objects, and more.</p><h2>4. Is "The What is It? Game continued" suitable for all ages?</h2><p>Yes, "The What is It? Game continued" is suitable for all ages. It can be adapted to different age groups by using simpler or more complex objects and descriptions. It is a great game for families, classrooms, or anyone who wants to have fun while learning about science.</p><h2>5. Can "The What is It? Game continued" be played with a large group?</h2><p>Yes, "The What is It? Game continued" can be played with a large group of people. It is a great game for parties, team-building activities, or science fairs. The more players there are, the more challenging and exciting the game becomes.</p>

1. What is "The What is It? Game continued"?

"The What is It? Game continued" is a popular scientific game that challenges players to identify various objects based on their characteristics and properties. It is a fun and educational way to learn about different scientific concepts and improve critical thinking skills.

2. How do you play "The What is It? Game continued"?

To play "The What is It? Game continued", a player must first select an object and describe its characteristics and properties without revealing its name. The other players then have to guess what the object is based on the given clues. The player who correctly guesses the object wins a point and gets to choose the next object to describe.

3. What types of objects can be used in "The What is It? Game continued"?

Any type of object can be used in "The What is It? Game continued", as long as it has distinct characteristics and properties that can be described. This can include everyday items, scientific tools, natural objects, and more.

4. Is "The What is It? Game continued" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "The What is It? Game continued" is suitable for all ages. It can be adapted to different age groups by using simpler or more complex objects and descriptions. It is a great game for families, classrooms, or anyone who wants to have fun while learning about science.

5. Can "The What is It? Game continued" be played with a large group?

Yes, "The What is It? Game continued" can be played with a large group of people. It is a great game for parties, team-building activities, or science fairs. The more players there are, the more challenging and exciting the game becomes.