Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Wheel of Time vs LotR

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    The Wheel of Time was heavily influenced by LotR, but it's unique enough to stand on it's own. Which do you prefer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The wheel of time becomes really boring in the middle. There are books of 600 pages which literally don't advance the story at all. Furthermore, the end of the wheel of time is very open. I would have loved some more closure (I do appreciate that the series got a closure at all after the author dying). But, for example, I would have loved to know which characters lived and which characters died. It's not at all clear. I ended the series with a lot of unanswered questions and it's really frustrating.

So I prefer the Lord of the Rings for these reasons.

4. Aug 4, 2013 #3
    Nothing and absolutely nothing beats LOTR not wheel of time, not Inheritance, not harry potter, not even Principia Mathematica (though it comes close).

5. Aug 20, 2013 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I prefer the Wheel of Time, but as micro said, it does slow down after, I think the 4th book in (it's been years.)

LOTR, the book, were slow with all of the elf poems that made me crazy, I had to skip over them.

The movies I loved.

6. Aug 20, 2013 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Had you picked a comparison like "A Song of Ice and Fire", Greg, it would have been a difficult choice.

I found the WoT extremely boring.

7. Aug 20, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

LoTR, no competition. It's like comparing Katharine Ross to Jennifer Aniston.

8. Aug 20, 2013 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first 3 books of WoT were good but then it just turned into a effort to produce words.

9. Aug 20, 2013 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I agree. I particularly liked book 1, but the two next followups weren't that bad, either. But, then it just rambled on and on (I believe I have read 6 or 7 of the books).

10. Aug 30, 2013 #9
    I hope this isn't too far away from the OP to be distracting.

I must admit, I haven't read "Wheel of Time", but I have read LOTR a couple of times along with the Hobbit (which IMHO not as good as LOTR by quite a margin). Not being a massive reader, I considered that LOTR was as good as that style of writing could be, but then, I was introduced to the "Far-seer Trilogy" by Robin Hobb. If you, like myself think that 'Tolkin' is/was great, Robin Hobb steps it up a level. Think Game of Thrones without the multitude of waring groups and almost random deaths.

Damo

11. Aug 31, 2013 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I also like the Farseer Trilogy, Tawny Man and Second Son works by Robin Hobb. :smile:

12. Aug 31, 2013 #11
    The Wheel of Time for me. The ones I have read are Malazan series (not full) but boy, those are AWESOME!!!

13. Sep 1, 2013 #12
    I call for a vote that all who prefer the wheel of time to LoTR be banned for as long as it takes to reread the LoTR triology and change their opinions. :devil: (:biggrin:)

@Damo ET- Hobbit is great as a children's novel, adults should stick to the later three
    @Evo- Elf poems drive you crazy? Those poems were the best part of the book, I believe I kept singing TOM-BOM-BOMBADIL and Strider's introduction by Bilbo for a month,
    I was 12 :blushing:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  14. Sep 1, 2013 #13
    By the way Greg which do YOU prefer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook