Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Wheel

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    Hello I know this sounds stupid but my friend told me about something that made me think. So what he told me was that every point on a car wheel is still for a very small fraction
    of time

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1395443479.326283.jpg

Point x is stationary at this point in time but as the wheel moves forward it revolves around x and stays at place y

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1395443887.692809.jpg

So it looks like this
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1395443973.719997.jpg

Does it do this or does it move with the rest of the wheel ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Still" is a concept involving motion. Motion is a relative phenomenon. EVERYTHING is still relative to its own frame of reference and anything in that frame of reference. When you a running down the street, you are standing still relative to your belt buckle.

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The part of the wheel in contact with the ground is pushing the car forward. It is going slightly backward if the tire slips or stretches at all. At the top, the wheel is going forward. So somewhere in between, very near the bottom, it's forward velocity must be zero. You could reasonable say that it has zero velocity exactly at the bottom. But if you want to be really picky, its forward velocity may not be exactly at the bottom and it might have some downward velocity there. In other words, its forward velocity may not be zero at the exact same time that its downward velocity is zero.

5. May 26, 2014 #4
    You could also say that that point is still relative to the road but not to the car

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook