How Can I Understand Slowly Rotating Perturbations of the Whittaker Metric?

• Thread starter MstoneHall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the metric functions in this paper describe an arbitrary stationary axisymmetric fluid solution.
MstoneHall
I am interested in considering slowly rotating perturbations of the Whittaker metric. Unfortunately I have very little knowledge of this metric. Could someone help me with the exact form of this metric and maybe where to get more material? I understand this may be out of place here but...

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1098/rspa.1968.0133

J. M. Whittaker,
An Interior Solution in General Relativity
Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences (1934-1990)
ISSN: 0080-4630
Issue: Volume 306, Number 1484 / July 30, 1968

has links to other papers that reference it.

http://www.jstor.org/view/00804630/di002761/00p00437/0 [via JSTOR]

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1968RSPSA.306...1W
lists additional citations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wont' say!

Well, a moment with Google yields the paper http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9910001, from which it seems that the so-called Whittaker metrics are obtained from the coframe (first covector field timelike, rest spacelike, all pairwise orthogonal)
[tex] \sigma^1 = -\sqrt{1+2 \, h(r,\theta)} \, A(r) \, dt[/tex]
[tex] \sigma^2 = \sqrt{1+2 \, m(r,\theta)} \, B(r) \, dr[/tex]
[tex] \sigma^3 = \sqrt{1 + 2 \, k(r,\theta)} \, C(r) \, d\theta[/tex]
[tex] \sigma^4 = \sin(\theta) \, \left( d\theta + (\Omega - \omega(r)) \, dt) \right) [/tex]
via
[tex] g = -\sigma^1 \otimes \sigma^1 + \sigma^2 \otimes \sigma^2
+ \sigma^3 \otimes \sigma^3 + \sigma^4 \otimes \sigma^4 [/tex]
I believe the motivation is Hartle's approximation scheme for slowly rotating axisymmetric fluid balls in gtr, you can look up the citations they give and see if any of the earlier papers clarify this.

(While I was composing this reply, robphy posted some relevant information. Rob, I don't have on-line access to that journal here--- do you know if this is an exact fluid solution or, as I guess, an approximation valid to say second order in a rotation parameter?)

Picking up the counting theme, the metric functions here comprise three functions of two variables and four functions of one variable, and all are independent of time. One can ask: how many metric functions of so many variables are required to represent an arbitrary stationary axisymmetric Lorentzian spacetime? An arbitrary stationary axisymmetric fluid solution?

Last edited:
Much thanks Chris and robphy. Your explanations and links have been of tremendous help.

1. What is the Whittaker Metric?

The Whittaker Metric is a mathematical formula used to measure the biodiversity of a specific area. It takes into account both the number of species present and their relative abundance.

2. How is the Whittaker Metric calculated?

The Whittaker Metric is calculated by first determining the total number of species present in a given area, and then calculating the relative abundance of each species. These values are then plugged into the Whittaker formula, which results in a numerical value representing the biodiversity of the area.

3. What is the purpose of using the Whittaker Metric?

The Whittaker Metric is used to better understand and quantify the biodiversity of an area. It allows scientists to compare biodiversity between different regions and track changes over time.

4. Are there any limitations to the Whittaker Metric?

Like any metric, the Whittaker Metric has its limitations. It does not take into account the genetic diversity within a species or the interactions between different species. It is also influenced by the size and scale of the area being studied.

5. How can the Whittaker Metric be used in conservation efforts?

The Whittaker Metric can be used to identify areas with high levels of biodiversity, which may then be targeted for conservation efforts. It can also help monitor the effectiveness of conservation actions and track changes in biodiversity over time.