Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Width Of Lagrange Points

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone! I just finishexd reading Death By Black Hole and I was interested in the Lagrange points. Neil talks about how if you placed objects inside of them you could use the points as place holders for objects while building in space. I couldn't seem to find anything about the width of the points. I understand they are circular in shape but does anyone have any idea about how wide these rings are? Thanks in advance.

-Jack

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hello Jack! Welcome to PF! :smile:

L4 and L5 are stable, so a body placed near either should oscillate around it

i haven't done the maths, but i suspect that "near" means anywhere, so long as the body starts stationary (or nearly so) relative to the Lagrange point

(ie, obviously if it has a substantial sideways motion, it'll orbit one of the parent bodies instead, in exactly the same way as it would if it was moving too fast at the the Lagrange point)

L1 L2 and L3 are unstable, but they do have quasi-periodic Lissajous orbits which are used (with radii of up to 200,000 km), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_points#Stability for details :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook