The Wildest point on an ellipse

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the wildest points on an ellipse using a formula for measuring curvature. The participants discussed using a parametric form of the ellipse in the xy plane and encountered a problem when trying to calculate the value for the denominator. However, they were able to determine that the points at the ends of the major and minor axes are the wildest and least wild points, respectively.
Diffy
The motivation behind my question stems from my own curiosity. There was recently a post in this forum titled "The Widest Point on an ellipse" (or something to that effect). In any event, I misread the title, as "The wildest". I got to thinking, and remembered from vector calculus there existed a formula to measure the severity of a curve at any point.

The formula is as follows:
[tex]K(t) = \frac{||r\prime(t) \times r\prime\prime(t)||}{||r\prime(t)||^3}[/tex]

Where r(t) is our curve in parametric form.

I wanted to use this to figure out in general , what points on an ellipse are the wildest, ie at which points can we find a maximum value for K?

To keep things simple I assumed the ellipse I would look at would be soley in the xy plane. the equation I decided on is the following:

[tex]r(t) =\left( \begin{array}a a\cos(t) \\ b \sin(t) \\0 \end{array}
\right) [/tex]

Now I am running into a problem when trying to calulate K(t)

The numerator actually works out very nice:
[tex] \pm 2ab[/tex]

the denominator I can't figure out. I get stuck at this:
[tex](\sqrt{a^2\sin(t)^2 + b^2 \cos(t)^2})^3[/tex]

Anyone see a way to reduce this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why do you need to simplify it? Just differentiate and solve for the maximum.

The "wildest" points on an ellipse, the points with largest curvature are the points at the ends of the major axis. The points with the smallest curvature are the points at the ends of the minor axis.

HallsofIvy said:
The "wildest" points on an ellipse, the points with largest curvature are the points at the ends of the major axis. The points with the smallest curvature are the points at the ends of the minor axis.

I was going to mention that this was my hypothesis, but I wanted to figure it out for myself.

Vid said:
Why do you need to simplify it? Just differentiate and solve for the maximum.

Ah ha! Of course...

Thanks, man.

1. What is the wildest point on an ellipse?

The wildest point on an ellipse is known as the "vertex" or the "apex". It is the point where the ellipse is farthest away from its center.

2. How is the wildest point on an ellipse calculated?

The wildest point on an ellipse can be calculated using the equation r = a(1+e), where r is the distance from the center to the wildest point, a is the semi-major axis, and e is the eccentricity of the ellipse.

3. Is the wildest point the same as the focus of an ellipse?

No, the wildest point and the focus of an ellipse are not the same. The focus is a fixed point within the ellipse, while the wildest point is the point farthest from the center and can move depending on the eccentricity.

4. What is the significance of the wildest point on an ellipse?

The wildest point on an ellipse is important in understanding the shape and motion of the ellipse. It is also used in various applications such as astronomy, engineering, and mathematics.

5. Can the wildest point of an ellipse be located anywhere on the ellipse?

No, the wildest point of an ellipse can only be located on the major axis of the ellipse. It is always located at one end of the major axis, opposite to the center of the ellipse.