Calculations of the Winkler Method Explained

• Thread starter CGallin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation is about the Winkler method and the confusion surrounding the calculations involved. The person has performed three titrations, including standardization of the Thiosulfate solution, a blank determination, and a titration of the sample to find the dissolved oxygen content. They are unsure of how these three relate to each other and are seeking clarification or a resource to help understand. The concept of a blank determination is also discussed, with the recommendation to do calculations for the blank and adjust the final result accordingly. Ultimately, the person was able to figure everything out with the help provided.
CGallin
So I'm having a hard time finding exactly what calculations are involved in the Winkler method

What I have is three different titrations a;
1) Standardization of the Thiosulfate Solution which was done with deionized water
2) Blank Determination
3) Thiosulfate Titration of the Sample that I am attempting to find the dissolved oxygen content in.

The problem I am having is relating these three together. If someone could explain it to me or point me to a website that could explain this to me I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start finding out what reactions are taking place. Google is your friend.

Okay, so I've found the dissolved oxygen concentration (I believe) but the thing that is confusing me is why I have a Blank determination. I feel as tho I should of used this somewhere along the way but it never factored into my calculations.

Do the calculations for your blank - do they yield zero? If not, that's by how much off your final result is.

So for the blank I have it that I used 0.3 mL of thiosulfate so I would subtract 0.3 mL from the amount of thiosulfate used in the calculations to determine the dissolved oxygen concentration?

Yes. Blank tells you how much titrant is consumed before your sample starts to react.

Thanks for the help, i got it all figured out.

1. What is the Winkler Method?

The Winkler Method is a technique for measuring the amount of dissolved oxygen in a water sample. It involves adding chemicals to the sample to react with the oxygen, and then measuring the amount of unreacted chemicals to determine the oxygen concentration.

2. Why is the Winkler Method used to measure dissolved oxygen?

The Winkler Method is considered the most accurate and reliable method for measuring dissolved oxygen in water. It is commonly used in environmental science and water quality testing to assess the health of aquatic ecosystems.

3. What are the steps of the Winkler Method?

The steps of the Winkler Method are: collecting a water sample, adding manganese sulfate and alkaline iodide-azide reagent to react with the dissolved oxygen, adding sulfuric acid to fix the reaction, titrating the sample with a standardized solution of sodium thiosulfate, and calculating the oxygen concentration based on the titration results.

4. What are the sources of error in the Winkler Method?

The Winkler Method can be affected by several sources of error, such as incomplete mixing of reagents, incorrect sample size, and variations in temperature or pH. Improper handling of chemicals or equipment can also lead to inaccurate results.

5. How can the Winkler Method results be interpreted?

The oxygen concentration measured by the Winkler Method is typically expressed in units of milligrams per liter (mg/L). This can be used to assess the level of dissolved oxygen in a water sample and determine its potential impact on aquatic life. Low oxygen levels can indicate pollution or other environmental stressors, while high levels can be a result of algal blooms or photosynthesis.