The Winkler Method

• Thread starter CGallin
  • Start date
So I'm having a hard time finding exactly what calculations are involved in the Winkler method

What I have is three different titrations a;
1) Standardization of the Thiosulfate Solution which was done with deionized water
2) Blank Determination
3) Thiosulfate Titration of the Sample that I am attempting to find the dissolved oxygen content in.

The problem I am having is relating these three together. If someone could explain it to me or point me to a website that could explain this to me I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
Start finding out what reactions are taking place. Google is your friend.

Okay, so I've found the dissolved oxygen concentration (I believe) but the thing that is confusing me is why I have a Blank determination. I feel as tho I should of used this somewhere along the way but it never factored into my calculations.

Borek
Mentor
Do the calculations for your blank - do they yield zero? If not, that's by how much off your final result is.

So for the blank I have it that I used 0.3 mL of thiosulfate so I would subtract 0.3 mL from the amount of thiosulfate used in the calculations to determine the dissolved oxygen concentration?

Borek
Mentor
Yes. Blank tells you how much titrant is consumed before your sample starts to react.

Thanks for the help, i got it all figured out.