1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The word "or" in set theory

1. Jan 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I was doing this problem in Munkres's Topology book:

Determine whether the statement is true or false, If a double implication fails, determine whether one or the other of the possible implications holds:

A ⊂ B or A ⊂ C ⇔ A ⊂ ( B ∪ C )

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the ⇒ direction is true because (x∈A→x∈B or x∈A→x∈C)⇒(x∈A→(x∈B or x∈C))
    For the other direction, I thought at first that it's true, but I checked some online answers and what I found is it's false. I thought it's true because what I had in mind is the word "or" stands for "either A is a subset of B, or A is a subset of C, or both". And if A is a subset of the union of B and C, then it's implied that A is a subset of at least one of them. What am I getting wrong?

This is the answer that I found online:

If the LHS statement is true then for each latex.png we have that latex.png and so latex.png , i.e. latex.png . The other direction is not correct though. Consider the sets latex.png then latex.png but it is not true that latex.png .

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The example shows that this is wrong: "And if A is a subset of the union of B and C, then it's implied that A is a subset of at least one of them."
    A={1,3}⊂ B∪C={1,2,3,4}, but clearly A is not a subset of either B or C.

venn.jpg

4. Jan 6, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your problem isn't in misunderstanding of the word "or" (as implied by your thread title). The counterexample given below clearly shows that A can be contained in ##B \cup C## without A being a subset of either of the other sets.

Note that in the example, one element of A is contained in B, and the other element of A is contained in C, but A is not a subset of either B or C.

5. Jan 6, 2016 #4
    Oh, I don't how I missed that, feel stupid for asking haha.
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted