1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The work done by a perfect gas

1. Feb 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An ideal gas at initial temperature T1 and pressure P1 is compressed by a piston to half its original volume. The temperature is varied so that the relation P=AV always holds and A is a constant. What is the work done n the gas in terms of n (moles of gas) R (gas constant) and T1?

2. Relevant equations

Using ideal gas law, PV= nRT

and assuming the work done is [itex]W = \int^{V_b}_{V_a} P dV[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, simple enough, right?

Vb = (1/2) Va

So V = nRT/P and [itex]V_a = \frac{nRT}{P_1}[/itex] and [itex]V_b = \frac{nRT}{2P_1}[/itex]

Plug this into the integral above. Since P=AV (in the givens) it should be

[itex]W = \int^{V_b}_{V_a} (AV) dV = A \int^{V_b}_{V_a} V dV = A\frac{V^2}{2}|^{V_a}_{V_b}[/itex]

Which leaves me with

[itex]=\frac{A}{2} \left[\left(\frac{nRT}{2P_1}\right)^2 - \left(\frac{nRT}{P_1}\right)^2\right] = \frac{A}{2}\left(\frac{nRT}{P_1}\right)^2(-3/4) = \frac{-3A}{8}\left(\frac{nRT}{P_1}\right)^2[/itex]

Yet the answer is listed as [itex]\frac{-3A}{8}\left(\frac{nRT}{P_1}\right)[/itex]

So I am trying to figure out how I got the extra factor in there. I think I did everything right, but is there some stupid mathematical error I made?

Anyhow, it's possible there's a typo in the book's answer too. But...

any help is appreciated, even though I anticipate it will be trivial...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2014 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The correct answer is 3nRT1/8, which can be derived from your answer.

The given answer is not dimensionally correct. The answer has to have dimensions of energy (work) ie. PV or nRT. Since A has dimensions of P/V, the correct answer has to have dimensions of AV2. The given answer has dimensions of AV = P.

AM

4. Feb 22, 2014 #3
    Thanks lots, I knew there was something stupid I was missing. I looked at it again and the given answer was yours, but I forgot about just plugging P/V in for A. D'OH!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted