1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Work-Energy Theorem

1. Mar 14, 2006 #1

If the work changes the object's velocity through a horizontal distance then:

W = delta KE

But, what if the work changes the object's vertical position. Then the object's mph changes. Would the Work formula be:

W = delta PE?

But, if something is moving upwards (y axis) then it has both a change in PE and KE. What would the new equation be for total work? I'm confused because we are only taught the W = delta KE equation.

Thank you. :-):approve:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2006 #2

Well, later in your textbook, or class, you will learn something call the conservation of mechincal( spell?) energy. which is:

W= delta E

where delta E is the sum of both delta PE , and delta KE plus.... others(but you don t need to know yet)

Since you know PE, then i assume you also know that work done by a conservative force is path independent. Using the same generialization, you can compute delta E once you know the initial , and final state of the thing you called: system.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  4. Mar 14, 2006 #3
    It's generally more helpful to ignore seperate formulas and just remember that w = deltaME where ME is mechanical energy, and is, as kant said, the sum of kinetic and potential energy of an object in a system.
  5. Mar 15, 2006 #4
    this formula w = deltaME I will for sure write down

thank you all for your help :-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?