1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The work-energy theorem

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    A particle moving in the x direction is being acted on by a net force F(x)= Cx^2, for some constant C. The particle moves from x_initial= L to x_final= 3L. What is deltaK, the change in kinetic energy of the particle during that time?

Express your answer in terms of C and L.

I got 16CL^3 but it keeps saying I'm off by a multiplicative factor. Anyone know where I', going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2
    The work done on your particle as it moves in the positive [tex]x[/tex]-direction is:

[tex]W = \int_{x=L}^{3L} F(x) dx[/tex]

Interestingly, this is independent of how fast the particle is travelling.

In your case, you have an explicit form for the force: [tex]F = Cx^2[/tex], so:

[tex]W = \int_{x=L}^{3L} Cx^2 dx[/tex]

<< rest of complete solution edited out by berkeman >>

Is this better?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2008
  4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    thanks!!

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    hi pterid ... how do u write formulas ??

best regards
    rayo

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

pterid, Please do not post complete solutions to homework/coursework questions. Even though this thread was originally (incorrectly) posted in the general technical forums, it is easy to recognize it as a homework/coursework question, and should be treated as such, even before a Mentor notices it and moves it to the Homework Help forums.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?