1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B The Work function of Nichrome

1. May 10, 2017 #1
    Hello,
    Does anyone know the work function of nichrome ? I can't seem to find it online.

Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hmmm. I found the following info, but I'm not sure it helps that much: http://lappddocs.uchicago.edu/documents/230/sendit
    Check the source to make sure it's what you actually need.

4. May 11, 2017 #3
    I had seen that but didn't notice what you pointed out. Any idea about very clean nichrome wire ?
    Thanks.

5. May 11, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Not sure, sorry.

6. May 12, 2017 #5

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Not specifically, but 'chemically clean' often means washed with a strong acid, such as nitric.

7. May 12, 2017 #6
    Hi,
    Would washed with isopropanol and dry air count as clean ?

8. May 12, 2017 #7

Tom.G

Science Advisor

It would help, but probably not qualify as 'chemically clean.' There are too many things that alcohols do not dissolve.

Hopefully someone else can jump in here with more detailed answers. I'm an electronics guy and chemistry is just random stuff I've picked up along the way.

9. May 13, 2017 #8
    Hello,
    I'm the opposite to you then, with chemistry as my main area ! Anyway, thanks for your help, it's been very useful.
    Thanks,

10. May 13, 2017 #9
    The article says
    The work function of Nichrome runs between 5.1 and 8 eV, depending on the cleanliness of the surface

11. May 13, 2017 #10
    Ok, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted