1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The work of compression

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    One mole of a van der Waals gas is compressed quasi-satically and isothermally from volume V1 to V2. For a van der Waals gas, the pressure is:
    p= RT/(V-b)-a/V^2
    where a and b are material constants, V is the volume and RT is the gas constant x temperature.

For the first part of the problem I was supposed to write an expression for the work done. According to the equation ∂w=-pdV (where w=work, p=pressure, and V=volume) we can solve the equation for work by integrating the pressure equation from V1 to V2. Doing this, we get:
    w=RTln((V_1-b)/(V_2-b))+a(1/V_1 -1/V_2 )

The second part of the question asks: Is more or less work required than for an ideal gas in the low-density limit? What about the high-density limit? Why?
    Basically, I don't understand what the second part of the question is asking. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

(Sorry, I tired to format the equations in Microsoft equation editor first so they'd look normal, but it didn't work.. I don't know how to do that on here :-/ )
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted