The Work–Kinetic Energy Theorem

In summary, the person is asking for help with problem 6-4 in the Tipler textbook, but the necessary values and a diagram are not provided. They have attached a simplified scheme and a resolution scheme, but the values provided in the book do not match up with the problem they are trying to solve. They are asking for assistance and apologize for any confusion.
TONI2012
I would appreciate help to solve the problem proposed in Figure 6-4 by PA Tipler 5th Ed ("What did your professor exert force if the sled starts with a speed of 2 m / s ... "). Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't own your textbook.

You'll have to post the full problem, preferably with a drawing, picture or scan of the diagram included.

You will also have to tell us how you've approached the problem so far.

Attached simplified scheme and a resolution scheme.

In Tipler, gives values ​​for d, v0 and vf and gives the solution (138N). I can understand that the value of M is the previous problem in the book.

But neither the value nor the H m are supplied. With the scheme that I propose, I think they are necessary.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Toni

TONI2012 said:
Attached simplified scheme and a resolution scheme.
I see nothing attached.

In Tipler, gives values ​​for d, v0 and vf and gives the solution (138N). I can understand that the value of M is the previous problem in the book.
OK. (I happen to have that book, so I know what you are referring to.)

But neither the value nor the H m are supplied.
I don't understand this sentence. What values are not supplied?
With the scheme that I propose, I think they are necessary.
Show your proposed solution. (No values beyond what was given are needed.)

For the benefit of others, please post a scan of the textbook problem. Or at least a better statement of the problem.

Sorry!

Attachments

• TWKETh.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 260
Are you sure you are looking at the correct figure, which is figure 6-4? Your attachment looks closer to figure 6-5, which is a different problem.

You're right. Thanks

What is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How is the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem derived?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration. By combining this with the definition of work and the equations for kinetic energy, we can arrive at the theorem.

What are the applications of the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is used in many fields of science and engineering, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It is essential for understanding the motion and energy of objects in various systems.

How does the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem relate to conservation of energy?

The Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy. Since the theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy, it shows that energy is conserved in a closed system.

Can the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem be applied to non-conservative forces?

Yes, the Work-Kinetic Energy Theorem can be applied to non-conservative forces, as long as the work done by these forces is taken into account. The theorem can be modified to include the work done by non-conservative forces, such as friction, to accurately calculate the change in kinetic energy of an object.