Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The world of handhelds

1. Mar 24, 2006 #1

-Job-

Science Advisor

I have just bought myself a brand new handheld, my first one. I'm going to take this thing to the next level. It has a wireless connection which means i can connect to my server both at school and at home. I'm going develop a website in WML, using Flash for this handheld to browse to. One of the things i'll be able to do is have the website display a library of songs which can be streamed. I'll easily have the flash movie get the list of all my 4,000+ songs and stream the ones the user selects (this is for personal use of course, i don't want any legal issues). I'm planning on modeling the interface after that of my iPod, so my handheld will effectively also be my ipod :smile: , cool or what? There's so much potential, i'm very excited about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2006 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

How about setting up a RTSP server at home and then on the handheld all you have to do is decode the stream. The flash interface could be used to change which media file is streaming. This would work with both audio and video.

4. Mar 24, 2006 #3

-Job-

Science Advisor

Which program would read the RTSP stream then?

5. Mar 24, 2006 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Which OS does your handheld do you have?

6. Mar 24, 2006 #5

-Job-

Science Advisor

It's Windows mobile. Flash has a mechanism for streaming though, using RTMP, since i have the Flash Communication Server running i should be all set.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  7. Mar 24, 2006 #6

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Windows media player mobile supports rtsp streams. They have to have some type of API that allows you to use their decoder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?