The World's Greatest Foods

I like Philly cheese steaks myself.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
hypatia said:
Moon bear....did granny teach you how to make pierogi ?
:frown: No, she didn't teach me how to make any of the good stuff. I asked many times, but she'd just tell me she'd make plenty if I wanted it and didn't have recipes, she just does it all from memory and by "feel." Of course that defeats that purpose when I don't live near her, and she's getting pretty old now. My mom tried a few times, but hers don't taste as good...something isn't the same.

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
tonight for dinner was homemade babaganoush (i think that is how it is spelled!), lamb, pita bread, feta cheese to top, olives, cucumbers, yellow tomatoes, and stuffed grape leaves! i was blessed with a husband who knows cuisine!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chronos said:
Tripe is a major ingredient of vienna sausages. Scary stuff.
I almost forgot an old favorite: Chorizo and eggs!

I grew up eating this and menudo [made with tripe] at my best buddy's house, but for years they would never tell me what either one was. Then, one day I looked closely at a package of chorizo; the listed ingredients were pork lymph nodes and salivary glands. :yuck: Love the stuff but rarely eat it anymore.

Last edited:
GOD__AM said:
I like Philly cheese steaks myself.
ahh the beauty of simplicity... even better would be a big juicy steak by itself, maybe with some roasted potatoes.

i also liked fish & chips at the stockpot, a non-touristy place off haymarket in london. i also like southeast-asian noodles, and anything curry. looks like everyone has already stolen my favourite foods.

The best pineapple in the world is in TAHITI

JamesU

Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
I almost forgot an old favorite: Chorizo and eggs!
*drools* :tongue2:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
fourier jr said:
ahh the beauty of simplicity... even better would be a big juicy steak by itself, maybe with some roasted potatoes.

i also liked fish & chips at the stockpot, a non-touristy place off haymarket in london. i also like southeast-asian noodles, and anything curry. looks like everyone has already stolen my favourite foods.
Oh, while we're on simplicity, how about fresh baked bread, just out of the oven, with a little butter melted onto it. :approve:

Singapore Chow Mien - Glass noodles with dry curry, shrimp, BBQ pork, onions, eggs and bean sprouts.

Lobster bisque with sherry

Lobster thermadore

Thai Green Curry

Basken & Robbins - Chocolate Rasberry Truffle.

All you can eat Alaskan King Crab legs with plenty of clarified butter. (A favourite while living in Columbus, OH on the Tuesday night all you can eat for $7.00 specials around town)

Eggs Benedict for Breakfast

Vienna Roast Coffee Beans freshly roasted and made into Cappuccino.

Crispy Kankun - (Filipino dish)

Chicken Adobo - (Filipino Dish)

Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatos, green peas, horse radish followed by Strawberry rhubarb crumble with custard -- or Trifle

Anything from Xinjiang China (Imagine good mexican food crossed with Chinese!!!)

I can go on ... and on ... but I might hurt myself.

honestrosewater

Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Oh, while we're on simplicity, how about fresh baked bread, just out of the oven, with a little butter melted onto it. :approve:
Mmmm... but now that I think of it, making bread isn't so simple. Lots of waiting and elbow grease. It takes the whole afternoon.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The Smoking Man said:
Anything from Xinjiang China (Imagine good mexican food crossed with Chinese!!!)
There is a wonderful style of cooking like this found in Peru called chifa. Below it seems to indicate that this is chinese food, but really it is a hybrid of Chinese with traditional Peruvian cooking. And then there are variations on this theme with seafood, and something more like mexican style cooking. I spent ten days there and ate this as much as possible.

The Peruvian food in the latest years...oriental influence

One thing that surprises the tourist that visits Peru is the large amount of oriental restaurants. There are over 2000 Chinese restaurants called "chifas". Peru is by far the country with the most Chinese restaurants in Latin America. [continued]
http://www.culturalexpeditions.com/culinary_history.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
honestrosewater said:
Mmmm... but now that I think of it, making bread isn't so simple. Lots of waiting and elbow grease. It takes the whole afternoon.
Or a bread machine! Add all the ingredients in the morning, set the timer, and come home to fresh baked bread. :approve: I do make bread by hand too, and it makes it even more worthwhile when you finally have the final product fresh from the oven after all that waiting. Actually, it's not that hard, and doesn't take that much elbow grease...about 10-15 min of kneading...but it is a LOT of waiting, especially if you're making something like a sourdough that requires a few days to get a good starter going if you don't keep a starter all the time.

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My mother totally ruined me for white bread. As one of 5 kids my mom had to work hard to make ends meet, one of her methods was baking a dozen loafves of bread each week. This gave me a false sense of what white bread should be. I have never found anything to compete with is since. The fact that she won Blue Ribbons every time she entered a loaf in the local county fair (one of the bigger fairs in Southern Oregon) is a testament that others thought she baked a pretty good loaf.

In another stage of my life... My first wife was Cechz, her grandmother (Babushka) baked the best Austrian style Torts.. I have never really liked American style cakes and frosting since. She also did a mean Pierogi and a sort of chicken fried steak they called Beftec, of course the spelling is only approximate. :smile:

I saw mention of Native American Fry bread some where up thread. That is on of the highlights of going to a Powwow, good fry bread.

Humm... also from my childhood was biscuits and gravy, liver gravy was great even if I could not get into the liver itself.

I still make bisciuts and gravy, though now I like Pennsylvania Dutch dried beef with a white gravy.

My favorite occasional breakfast is crisp fried grated potatoes, it comes out nearly a potato pancake. Top it with a fried egg, cheddar cheese, sour cream and salsa... good stuff...

Chinese-Shanghai noodles, hunan/szechuan spicy sauce, honey chicken, dimsum,bao,
dan ta(egg tart), phoenix nest, tsa yei dan, bakery goods, uei shung ro se, fried rice
dan tsin ro. satay beef. nio tsai kwa. CONGEE(sweet kind), Red bean desert soup(hong do tung) with milk condensation. Green bean desert soup. (some of my mom's cooking)
Japanese-any seafood but fish, fried battered shrimp tempura, honey pork
Korean-Bukoki beef...sorry if i spelled that wrong, neoguri instant noodles
vietnamese-PHO, vietnamese sausage rolls
Thai noodles in a wrap
polish-perogie bacon/cheese
middle eatern- baclava, chicken schwarmas.
indian-the pancake like pita, fried rice.
new brunswick-lobster and chips.

mom's pancakes
waffles with whipcream/fruit toppings/ chocolate sauce
wraps
chicken pot pie.
tacos
chili and tostitos
baked potato with bacon cheese topping.
Devils Eggs

Deserts #1Laura secords Super kid Icecream(blue red yellow)
chinese style icecreams(pineapple, red bean, green bean, honey dew, lychee)
Jackfruit shake
korean- honey dew popsicles
banana/chocolate icecream.
Chocolate Fondue.
egg tarts
Cheese/fruit danishes
chocolat almonds
pistachio ice cream.

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pepperoni pizza from Lou Malnatti's in Chicago, IL.

Best. Pizza. Ever.

Evo

Mentor
I love Greek food

Moussaka :!!)
Souvlaki
Tiropita
Spanakopita
Gyros
baklava

A bottle of Ouzo. :bugeye: :surprised Opah!!!

The best salad I ever ate was from the Mistral region of France. The greens were fresh picked, dressed delicately and served with slices of fine cheeses and cured meats.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Loren Booda said:
The best salad I ever ate was from the Mistral region of France. The greens were fresh picked, dressed delicately and served with slices of fine cheeses and cured meats.
That reminds me

Parma Ham!!! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses