What are the greatest dishes from around the world?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the best food around the world is diverse and delicious. Some of the best dishes are found in Ireland, Indonesia, and Vietnam.
The Smoking Man said:
Anything from Xinjiang China (Imagine good mexican food crossed with Chinese!)

There is a wonderful style of cooking like this found in Peru called chifa. Below it seems to indicate that this is chinese food, but really it is a hybrid of Chinese with traditional Peruvian cooking. And then there are variations on this theme with seafood, and something more like mexican style cooking. I spent ten days there and ate this as much as possible.

The Peruvian food in the latest years...oriental influence

One thing that surprises the tourist that visits Peru is the large amount of oriental restaurants. There are over 2000 Chinese restaurants called "chifas". Peru is by far the country with the most Chinese restaurants in Latin America. [continued]
http://www.culturalexpeditions.com/culinary_history.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
honestrosewater said:
Mmmm... but now that I think of it, making bread isn't so simple. Lots of waiting and elbow grease. It takes the whole afternoon.
Or a bread machine! Add all the ingredients in the morning, set the timer, and come home to fresh baked bread. :approve: I do make bread by hand too, and it makes it even more worthwhile when you finally have the final product fresh from the oven after all that waiting. Actually, it's not that hard, and doesn't take that much elbow grease...about 10-15 min of kneading...but it is a LOT of waiting, especially if you're making something like a sourdough that requires a few days to get a good starter going if you don't keep a starter all the time.

My mother totally ruined me for white bread. As one of 5 kids my mom had to work hard to make ends meet, one of her methods was baking a dozen loafves of bread each week. This gave me a false sense of what white bread should be. I have never found anything to compete with is since. The fact that she won Blue Ribbons every time she entered a loaf in the local county fair (one of the bigger fairs in Southern Oregon) is a testament that others thought she baked a pretty good loaf.

In another stage of my life... My first wife was Cechz, her grandmother (Babushka) baked the best Austrian style Torts.. I have never really liked American style cakes and frosting since. She also did a mean Pierogi and a sort of chicken fried steak they called Beftec, of course the spelling is only approximate. :smile:

I saw mention of Native American Fry bread some where up thread. That is on of the highlights of going to a Powwow, good fry bread.

Humm... also from my childhood was biscuits and gravy, liver gravy was great even if I could not get into the liver itself.

I still make bisciuts and gravy, though now I like Pennsylvania Dutch dried beef with a white gravy.

My favorite occasional breakfast is crisp fried grated potatoes, it comes out nearly a potato pancake. Top it with a fried egg, cheddar cheese, sour cream and salsa... good stuff...

Chinese-Shanghai noodles, hunan/szechuan spicy sauce, honey chicken, dimsum,bao,
dan ta(egg tart), phoenix nest, tsa yei dan, bakery goods, uei shung ro se, fried rice
dan tsin ro. satay beef. nio tsai kwa. CONGEE(sweet kind), Red bean desert soup(hong do tung) with milk condensation. Green bean desert soup. (some of my mom's cooking)
Japanese-any seafood but fish, fried battered shrimp tempura, honey pork
Korean-Bukoki beef...sorry if i spelled that wrong, neoguri instant noodles
vietnamese-PHO, vietnamese sausage rolls
Thai noodles in a wrap
polish-perogie bacon/cheese
middle eatern- baclava, chicken schwarmas.
indian-the pancake like pita, fried rice.
new brunswick-lobster and chips.

mom's pancakes
waffles with whipcream/fruit toppings/ chocolate sauce
wraps
chicken pot pie.
tacos
chili and tostitos
baked potato with bacon cheese topping.
Devils Eggs

Deserts #1Laura secords Super kid Icecream(blue red yellow)
chinese style icecreams(pineapple, red bean, green bean, honey dew, lychee)
Jackfruit shake
korean- honey dew popsicles
banana/chocolate icecream.
Chocolate Fondue.
egg tarts
Cheese/fruit danishes
chocolat almonds
pistachio ice cream.

Pepperoni pizza from Lou Malnatti's in Chicago, IL.

Best. Pizza. Ever.

I love Greek food

Moussaka :!)
Souvlaki
Tiropita
Spanakopita
Gyros
baklava

A bottle of Ouzo. :bugeye: Opah!

The best salad I ever ate was from the Mistral region of France. The greens were fresh picked, dressed delicately and served with slices of fine cheeses and cured meats.

Loren Booda said:
The best salad I ever ate was from the Mistral region of France. The greens were fresh picked, dressed delicately and served with slices of fine cheeses and cured meats.

That reminds me

Parma Ham! :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: