Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The world's highest swing

1. May 11, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2325093.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Cool :cool: - I love high places.

4. May 11, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't normally mind heights, if I'm behind a barrier and with my feet on something sturdy, but that swing's not for me!

5. May 11, 2007 #4
    Wild! That looks awesomely scary :smile:

6. May 11, 2007 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I want a swing with a 700 foot long chain!

How long can you pump that sucker!

7. May 11, 2007 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I was thinking! But, you'd probably wouldn't be able to swing much.

That swing is crazy though. I'd love to go on there.

8. May 11, 2007 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I don't get that. Bravery, to me, means doing something out of the ordinary to achieve an end that is worth sacrificing your own safety for. Swinging 700 ft. above a city just to prove you're not scared doesn't really jive with that. It seems more like thrill-seeking or ego-massaging if you're actually trying to prove a point by doing it.

9. May 11, 2007 #8

Danger

Gold Member

:surprised
    I got one look at that picture, and my 'nads shrivelled up and tried to hide behind my tonsils. I can't stand even thinking about that thing.

10. May 11, 2007 #9
    Looks kinda fun :D.

11. May 11, 2007 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hype. I've never known a good swing to break.

12. May 11, 2007 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What if you are scared? Also, aren't you talking more about heroism?

13. May 12, 2007 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dude, you got the wrong name then.

14. May 12, 2007 #13
    You know that thing you used to do when you were a kid. You would lean back on the swing until your body was horizontal and then you would stick your head down so you would see the ground coming up at you, upside down. -They should do that.

15. May 12, 2007 #14

radou

Homework Helper

It's not about bravery, it's about "adrenaline", eg "thrill-seeking", as you said. There are two types of people in the world; the ones who like thrills and the ones who don't. And I'm proud to be one of the most outstanding representatives of the former type. :approve:

16. May 12, 2007 #15

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The swing has a back, so you can't do that.

17. May 12, 2007 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Most things don't bother me; just keep me away from heights and bugs. :redface:

18. May 12, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same here, however, as much as I'd like to try that swing, and I would, I too have an intrinsic fear of heights. I guess my thrill seeking gene has more pull than my fear of heights gene. :biggrin: In fact, probably most of the coolest things that I've ever done scared me half to death at the time.

I tried Air Combat a some years ago, and I must say, the idea of having to parachute from a disabled plane with five minutes of training was about the most terrifying thing that I could imagine, but the allure of playing LASER tag at 200MPH while rolling and looping was too much.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  19. May 12, 2007 #18
    I dont remember those airplanes in the air combat programs having ejection seats. :confused:

20. May 12, 2007 #19

turbo

Gold Member

That might be fun for someone who has a fear of heights. I've engaged in all sorts of adrenaline-producing activities including skiing downhill flat-out in conditions that were sometimes a bit touchy , but perhaps the most fun was running heavy (class 4-5) whitewater in a low volume kayak or a canoe. Water is relentless and powerful, and every day is different. Sitting on a swing can't bring those rushes.

21. May 12, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They don't! He said that he would open the canopy and that I was to step out on the wing and jump; he'd probably stay with the plane. :eek:

That was pretty much the parachute training. :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?