Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace The world's largest aircraft

1. Dec 17, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2004 #2
    That's longer than many towns!
  4. Jan 4, 2005 #3
    I believe the feasibility of making such enormous aircraft lies primarily in the economy. With today's progress it shouldn't be structurally impossible to double the AN-225's size in a matter of, say, 5 years, but the question is what you would gain from such an aircraft. Would it make up for the costs of development, production, increasing runway lenghts and such. I think that's why we don't see AN-225's everywhere, and also why the A380 wasn't ready 10 years ago.
  5. Jan 4, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

For this reason alone, I think amphibious planes need to make a comeback - or maybe even ground-effect planes. And a ground-effect plane could transport 10x the weight at 3/4 the speed and twice(or more) the $ per pound mile efficiency of a normal plane.
  6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

Science Advisor

It's just a copy of the "Spruce Goose" with smaller wings :biggrin:
  7. Jan 4, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Russian Ekranoplan

Since I happen to have a good link handy...
  8. Jan 5, 2005 #7

Science Advisor

I've seen video of that plane. What a beast. Flying a few feet above the water makes that thing look scary to say the least. I can't remember the reasons why they were shelved.
  9. Jan 11, 2005 #8
    Although I am no historian I'd say that it's the same with all other great USSR-developed technologies: the technocrats gets big funding for their revolutioning projects, but there is no resources to put it into action, so it just sits rotting somewhere.

Actually it's strange there hasn't been interest in the Orlyonok, since the Volga shipyard offers to build them. I can imagine they would be great on the great lakes (Superior, Eirie, Michigan, etc.).
    Just wonder if some Americans still got the Trumann bug in their heads, refusing to go near "commy tech". :yuck:

Volga Shipyard Orlyonok
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?