Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The world's most underrated historical figure

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    Who do you believe to be the most unappreciated person in recorded history, or history overall?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2
    I would personally say Ludwig Boltzmann.

Others: John Field (Irish composer)

Or do you mean this kind of stuff..? :confused:
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  4. Mar 24, 2005 #3
    david hilbert
  5. Mar 24, 2005 #4
    Imo, in the recorded history of science it's probably Hilbert or maybe Gauss.

In overall history it's the guy that planted Newton's apple tree. :tongue2:
  6. Mar 24, 2005 #5
    George M. Schroder
  7. Mar 24, 2005 #6
    How about Hamilton? The latter part of his life was spent as a alcoholic... too bad for a man of his capabilities.
  8. Mar 24, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Either the person who invented toilet paper, Sonny Bono, or the first person to conceive of addition as a procedure that uses a symbol; not just as strikes in the dirt or scratches on the wall.
  9. Mar 24, 2005 #8
    True! :biggrin:

At the time Darwin was developing his ideas about evolution another biologist called, Alfred Wallace was having the same thoughts and was developing the same theories. I'm not saying Wallace is the world's most unappreciated figure, but Darwin apparently got all the credit.
  10. Mar 24, 2005 #9
    how about:
    -- the caveman who drew the first rectangle, starting the symbolic revolution
    -- thales & pythagoras, who made the first mathematical proofs; the way math is done hasn't changed since their time
    -- julius caesar, the ralph nader of his day
    -- kepler, one of the giants whose shoulders newton stood on
    -- euclid, whose elements has been published more than any other book in history except the bible
    -- zheng he, chinese explorer
  11. Mar 24, 2005 #10
    Hammurabi (argh!!! I have to add some stuff becuase my message was too short). Gotta love the man who brought us this crazy thing called the law. Well, to be slightly more correct he enumerated his judgements (first written law code) and sent out scribes to read his codes to the people; moreover, he erected pillars with his judgements inscribed...
  12. Mar 24, 2005 #11
    Forrest Gump
  13. Mar 24, 2005 #12

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Guttenberg. Not that he is unmentioned; he does get credit, but not nearly enough. I don't know that any one man has ever affected the course of history quite as much as he.
  14. Mar 24, 2005 #13
    George C. Marshall.
  15. Mar 24, 2005 #14

Science Advisor

Michael Nesmith
  16. Mar 24, 2005 #15
    Me. I've yet to find a single history book that mentions my full name. (addenda to allow me to post, carry on)
  17. Mar 24, 2005 #16

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's Gutenberg, with one T, unless you mean Steve Guttenberg, the actor. :tongue2: Not to be anal, but I did a quick wiki search to verify you were talking about who I thought you were talking about, and ran into some momentary confusion.
  18. Mar 25, 2005 #17

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Leonardo DaVinci, the quintessential renaissance man. Not that he was obscure, but his influence was deep and broad - both in science and art. He sends my WOW meter off the chart.
  19. Mar 25, 2005 #18
    Zeno. Hehehe...
  20. Mar 25, 2005 #19

Gold Member

I'm going to be pedantic (as usual) and say that the most underrated person will most likely be overlooked and not get a mention here.
  21. Mar 25, 2005 #20
    Loren Booda
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?