Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The world's worst foods

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today I stopped at a Mini Mart and bought one of those dangerous looking deli sandwiches found in the refrigerated section. A little mayo and some chopped onions sounded good, so I picked up a couple of packets of each to be squeezed onto whatever constitutes the bulk of the sandwich [not really sure what it is but it looks like meat]. After getting back in the car, the mayo was applied first, which looked fine, and next...the chopped onions. :surprised

What emerged from the little packet was a clear gelatinous substance that looked much like snail slime, but much, much thicker...and with little dark dots here and there in the goo. Now, I didn't know what I was looking at, but it certainly didn't look like chopped onions!

So I looked at the label:
    water, distilled vinegar, dehydrated onions, sugar, salt, modified corn starch, xanthan gum, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, dehydrated green onions, propylene glycol, alginate, citric acid, sodium metabisulfate.

But now here's the funny part: Pretty tasty stuff! Nonetheless, this must qualify as one of the world's worst foods.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

4. Sep 6, 2005 #3
    are we talking about things you wouldn't eat that others would? or the nastiest stuff people have tried to eat?

If its the former...i love seafood but i can't stand fish or snails. And don't like lamb/goat.
    Being asian i do like chicken feet but i ain't gonna try frogs leg...though a pigs foot is good if cooked right. Intestines depends on how their prepared.
    I eat alot of chocolate covered stuff but i ain't gonna try choco covered insects.
    TUNA is gross.
    As for vegetables cauliflower and eggplants taste gross to me.
    deserts-indian sweets are too sweet and sometimes too syrupy

Lastly fruits- DURIAN the killer of any food out there.
    I remember flying on a western airline(air canada maybe) as a child and the stewardess asked my mom to ask(in chinese) whoever was carrying that nasty smelling fruit to eat it quickly or dispose of it, because it was stinking up the plane. Lucky my mom stopped my dad from taking some onto the plane...cuase that stuff really stinks.

IF it was the latter anythign from fear factor is gross.

5. Sep 6, 2005 #4
    LOL Durian isn't all that bad. It stinks, but it tastes ok.

The world's worst food- I remember seeing on tv that in some town in Italy they actually eat maggot cheese. The Italians let flies land on the whey and lay maggots on it. When the maggots hatch they eat the whey and they bacteria in their stomach process it and make cheese as their waste. Thus when you cut into the cheese it is full of live maggots.

6. Sep 6, 2005 #5
    I was in asia recently,and saw loads of signs up in hotels etc. saying "No Durian Allowed". I thought it was some sort of drug or something. One taxi driver described eating durian as 'like eating ice-cream in a sewer' !!

Just couldn't pluck up the courage to try it myself!!

PS

7. Sep 6, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yorkshire pudding.

8. Sep 6, 2005 #7

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Hey! :grumpy:

(I like it...)

9. Sep 6, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you're from England, so that figures.
    (I suppose you like fish&chips as well..)

10. Sep 6, 2005 #9

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Damn right! :biggrin:

11. Sep 6, 2005 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Haggis as well?

12. Sep 6, 2005 #11

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Oh yes!
    (In Scottish fish and chip shops, they batter and deep fry it! It's fantastic!)

13. Sep 6, 2005 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I really can't see what is so great about the entrails of a SHEEP! :yuck:

14. Sep 6, 2005 #13
    These are all pretty gross but in my book Balut wins hands down. I just can't stomach "the egg with legs". :yuck:

15. Sep 6, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't even know what Balut is??? Egg with legs? What the heck is that?

16. Sep 6, 2005 #15
    The worst food is McDonalds

17. Sep 6, 2005 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

18. Sep 6, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

I second that, the first and only time i bought one the meat ? shot out on the
    second bite because of all the slippery slimy stuff :yuck:

19. Sep 6, 2005 #18

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

McDonald ejaculated prematurely??? :confused:

20. Sep 6, 2005 #19
    There is this food called scrapple, its little bits of pig odds and ends, mixed with corn meal. Its just nasty.

21. Sep 6, 2005 #20

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Going on actual taste instead of social/cultural/psychological disgust: Lima beans. How do people eat those things?! :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?