The year 1905

EnumaElish said:
e-mails in 2105 might say: 2005 was the year when "dark matter" and "dark energy" concepts became popularized more than ever before, President Bush the Second proposed a plan about travel to Mars, and the scientific community openly voiced doubts about empirical testability of "string theory."
Indeed. **gets back to watching the 2 amazingly brilliant sci-fi movie of this century "kung-pow" and "Dude!Where's my car?"**

-- AI

russ_watters
Mentor
hitssquad said:
There was higher infant mortality in 1905. The average life expectancy for 20-year-olds today may be lower than it was in 1905.
It isn't. There has still been an improvement in general health past infancy. No, it isn't anywhere near as dramatic as double, but it is still a marked improvement. HERE is the best info I could find - it has age adjusted data going back to ~1900 only for age 60 and 85, but it has a little chart 3/4 of the way down with age adjusted data from 1980 and 2003 going back to age 30. Botom line - all age brackets experience an improvment.

russ_watters
Mentor
hitssquad said:
According to the Loompanics Encyclopedia of Urban Legends, urban legends can be factually accurate and still qualify as urban legends.
I'd like to see that definition, because from what the dictionary says, the key trait of a "legend" is that it is at best unverified and at worst a flat-out myth.

Urban legends are not always untrue

russ_watters said:
I'd like to see that definition
Here's a similar one: "Contrary to popular belief, urban legends aren't always false. The key factor is that they are told AS IF true, though no supporting evidence is offered [....]".

urbanlegends.about.com/cs/urbanlegends/ht/urbanlegends.htm

russ_watters
Mentor
hitssquad said:
Here's a similar one: "Contrary to popular belief, urban legends aren't always false. The key factor is that they are told AS IF true, though no supporting evidence is offered [....]".

urbanlegends.about.com/cs/urbanlegends/ht/urbanlegends.htm
That's a pretty fine hair to split, but in any case it doesn't apply here: the information in this email is all verifiable.

Russ,

The information in urban legends is often verifiable (susceptible to the possibility of being either theoretically or actually proved true or false by reference to empirical facts) and also not easy to verify. How long would you estimate it would take a professional researcher to look up all of this information? What percentage of the persons who have been exposed to this urban legend since it began spreading in the year 2000 would you estimate managed to verify/falsify all of the information in it?