The year is 2050.

Danger said:
Yeah. If we don't hear from you much, we'll know why. :tongue:
I've been running XP for two years now, and I've had a virus once... Never had significant spyware or anything else....

If you run firefox.... you're fine. Nothing has ever crashed on me, nothing bad has ever happened. Maybe I'm just lucky? Or maybe smart?

As long as you have some idea of what you are doing and how to not get viruses, spyware, worms, ect then it really doesn't matter what sort of OS you are running. Though some are just a pain in the patoot depending on whaqt you want to do with them. XP has been a pain here and there but I suspect I would probably just have other problems with other OSs.

Oubache, do you have a virus?

---edit---
never mind...

Last edited:
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

You may want to look at Michio Kaku's book http://www.mkaku.org/books/visions/ [Broken].. He discusses exactly what you are addressing, advances and discoveries we can expect in the next 50 to 100 years and beyond.

If you enjoy reading popular physics, Michio really does a super job reaching a wide audience. This book Visions is not about physics but where technology has come from and where we are heading. I've been through this one twice. It is fun reading.

"Kaku predicts the future according to those who are working to shape it, through interviews and talks with leading scientists."

"This brilliant futurist catalogue from the renowned physicist.. convincingly predicts where the next hundred years of technological advancement will take us."

"Kaku moves far beyond the usual futuristic fare of gadgets and gizmos, offering up the hard science principles and soft science social impact of the advances he describes.”

Last edited by a moderator:
siddharth said:
The future sure looks exciting, doesn't it?

Also, though it's offtopic, have you played the Age of Empires series by microsoft? I'm sure you will enjoy playing that. Unlike Civilization, it's real time as well, and you don't need really high speed comps (AoE 2 worked on my Win 95,166Mhz comp)
any of the civ games >> aoe. this is mostly due to the fact that I hate rts-games anyway. I like to plan my moves carefully.

I'm 36 and if any of you youngsters give me any **** I'll kick your butt and take about 15 years off your life expectancy.

i don't see how people can expect so much from the future. i'm sure a lot will change, but like, haven't we learned a lesson from history? you people are talking about expansion (colonizing space) and mechanization (even the matrix!) haven't you considered the ecological consequences there will be if the human race continues its course? we already have global warming, extinction of loads of fauna and flora, loss of natural resources, overpopulation and it seems like most people would sell their soul if the price was right. Humanity is so out of touch. Nature will balance things out, likely sooner rather than later....

Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gale said:
i don't see how people can expect so much from the future. i'm sure a lot will change, but like, haven't we learned a lesson from history? .... haven't you considered the ecological consequences there will be if the human race continues its course? we already have global warming, extinction of loads of fauna and flora, loss of natural resources, overpopulation
I believe we are recognizing and doing something about our impact on the ecological consequences of our present path. Those who have already advanced through economic and industrial growth, recognize and are taking steps to live in harmony with their environment. The problem is how long this social consciousness & responsibility will take on a global scale. If you haven't had a chance, check out Kaku's book Visions, he does a nice job discussing this.