Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The yield of fruit juice from water based fruits compared to

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    the yield of fruit juice from water based fruits compared to....

please help me to find a comparison experiment to find the yield of fruit juice between to types of fruit 1 containing more water than the other.
    thanx in advance :surprised :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should know that we are not here to do your homework. What kind of help do you need, since it is not so difficult to squeeze juice out of fruits. What fruits do you expect to have a low water content? Hint: also include tropical fruits.

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Is it the yield of fruit juice that you are interested in or is it water content of the fruit...or is it both? There would be different approaches for each endpoint, not necessarily exclusive ones though. Give us some more details and any thoughts you have had about which fruits to use.

5. Apr 20, 2005 #4
    the homework is actually about the amount of fruit juice yield using proctase as a catalyst (so to speak) what i have chosen to do is to compare several types of fruit by seeing their fruit juice yield after 30 minutes of exposure to proctase but i was wondering whether the amount of water the fruit contains will have any effect on the amount of yeild the actual question now better worded is will the amount of water in a piece of fruit, keeping the mass the same for each piece, affect the outcome of results?
    if so i will have to scrap this experiment and move on to some other.
    thanx very much for your replys

6. Apr 20, 2005 #5
    Monique, what fruit would have a low water content to begin with? I can't think of any because all the fruits I can think of are very juicy, including some that are of the tropical variety. If they are juicy I would assume it means they have a moderate to high water concentration.

7. Apr 20, 2005 #6

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

How about raisins? :wink:

Seriously, in general fruits do contain a lot of water, but a comparison across fruits might yield considerable variation. How about a banana, or better yet a plantain, compared to a melon? or a durian compared to an orange? I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I would think on a weight basis the melon and orange would have more water.

8. Apr 20, 2005 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about avocado :biggrin: hard to squeeze juice out of that :wink:

9. Apr 20, 2005 #8
    I thought avacados were vegetables. :bugeye: Don't raisins count as grapes because they are the dried up form?

10. Apr 20, 2005 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, they are a fruit :tongue:

According to dictionary.com -- A tropical American tree (Persea americana) having oval or pear-shaped fruit with leathery skin, yellowish-green flesh, and a large seed.
    The edible fruit of this tree. Also called alligator pear, avocado pear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?