What Triggers the Yuck Mechanism?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the "yuck" mechanism is a case of over stimulus that can have a number of psychological and physiological factors that come into play.
Mentat
The "Yuck" mechanism.

What is it that makes one person (me, in this particular instance) detest the very thought of green beans, while another person - of very similar genetic makeup (my sister) - absolutely loves them? What is it that makes me completely sick to my stomach, when I see the maple syrup (that we left in the pantry for WAY too long) over-run by fungus that I would be fascinated to study about in a book? What is the "yuck" mechanism?

Note: I know the evolutionary advantage of such a mechanism, so I know the "why", it's the "what" and the "how" that are beyond my knowledge.

Any/all comments on the subject are definitely appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
i was wondering the very same thing the other day! in my driver's ed class (in which today is the last day!) we were watching Red Asfault and one person threw up and another fainted! i cannot really understand where they're coming from, because i feel nothing while watching those videos. i guess when everyone says that the youth has been de-sensitived, they're telling the truth!

oh, and i suppose it must have something to do with enviournment.

Originally posted by Mentat
What is it that makes one person (me, in this particular instance) detest the very thought of green beans, while another person - of very similar genetic makeup (my sister) - absolutely loves them? What is it that makes me completely sick to my stomach, when I see the maple syrup (that we left in the pantry for WAY too long) over-run by fungus that I would be fascinated to study about in a book? What is the "yuck" mechanism?

Note: I know the evolutionary advantage of such a mechanism, so I know the "why", it's the "what" and the "how" that are beyond my knowledge.

The short answer could be in part that it is a case of over stimulus. While once person can tolerate one level of stimulus, another has a larger response to the same stimulus.

I think a several other things come into play. For one, perhaps the density of taste buds differs from person to person. I know that some people have more sensitive taste buds than other people [called super-tasters I think]. We have several types of these sensors, so one can easily imagine variations in the ratios of these tasters. Also, psychological factors come into play. I once ate a bologna sandwich when I was sick. The sandwich made it worse and came right back at me. I couldn't eat a bologna sandwich for years! Also, I once had some bad swordfish. Since I had never eaten swordfish, I didn't realize that it was bad until I got to the really rotten part. Before this little episode I loved fish. Today, ten years later, I can still barely tolerate fish. Finally, our tastes change with age. Since flavors become less intense as we age, we tend to like foods with stronger flavors [such as green beans] as we get older. However, I still don't like green beans and I'm 42! But they don't taste as bad as they used to.

What is the "Yuck Mechanism"?

The "Yuck Mechanism" refers to the human tendency to be repulsed or disgusted by certain things, such as bodily fluids, insects, or spoiled food. It is a natural survival instinct that helps keep us away from potential harm or disease.

What causes the "Yuck Mechanism"?

The "Yuck Mechanism" is believed to be a combination of evolutionary and cultural factors. Evolutionarily, it helped our ancestors avoid eating spoiled or toxic food. Culturally, it can be influenced by societal norms and learned behaviors.

Can the "Yuck Mechanism" be overcome?

While the "Yuck Mechanism" is a natural and important instinct, it can also be influenced by individual experiences and perceptions. Through exposure therapy and cognitive-behavioral techniques, it is possible to desensitize oneself to certain triggers and overcome the "Yuck Mechanism".

How does the "Yuck Mechanism" impact our daily lives?

The "Yuck Mechanism" can impact our daily lives in various ways, such as influencing our dietary choices, causing us to avoid certain activities or places, or even affecting our relationships. It can also play a role in conditions such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and phobias.

Is the "Yuck Mechanism" the same for everyone?

No, the "Yuck Mechanism" can vary from person to person. While most people may share a general aversion to certain things, the intensity of the reaction and specific triggers can differ based on individual experiences and cultural backgrounds.