Summing Unequal Magnitude Vectors to Reach Zero

In summary, vectors of unequal magnitude can have a sum of zero if they form a closed triangle. This is also true for any polygon with unequal magnitude vectors as long as it connects at the origin. However, for equilibrium, the algebraic sum of the moments about any point must also be zero. This means that the shape must not only form a closed polygon, but also have balanced forces and moments acting on it.
ThomasMagnus
Hi,

I'm looking for some help on how the sum of a certain number of vectors can equal zero. I know that the sum of 2 vectors with equal magnitudes but opposite directions will equal zero; 2 vectors of unequal magnitude can never have a sum equal zero; and that three vectors of unequal magnitude can have a sum of zero if they form a closed triangle.

Three vectors of unequal magnitude can have a sum of zero if they form a closed triangle.

For this to be true, does the final vector have to point to the origin, or is it just a triangle anywhere?

What about four vectors? Can four vectors ever have a sum of zero if they have equal or unequal magnitude?

Here is a picture of a few vectors that I think have a sum of zero. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks =)

Vectors.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know too much about vectors, but I believe that if they form a closed shape then they will equal zero. Don't take my word on it though.

That's what I was thinking also. Can anyone confirm this?

Confirmed but... The vertical components add up to zero. And so do the horizontals. (Actually, any two non-parallel directions will do). However, it's not the only requirement for equilibrium. To satisfy equilibrium, the algebraic sum of the moments about ANY point must also be zero. Consider a square thing with a south facing force at the top left corner, and a north facing force of the same magnitude at the bottom right corner. The vector diagram closes, but the object will spin anticlockwise, and js therefore not in static equilibrium.

For the case you're talking about think of a polygon in n sides.

In this case the polygon can be convex or concave: there is no restriction on the orientation or length of the edges just as long as the shape is in fact a polygon (edges connect at vertices with one vertex being the origin.

1. What is the concept of summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero?

The concept of summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero involves taking two or more vectors of different magnitudes and directions and adding them together in such a way that the resulting sum is zero. This means that the vectors effectively cancel each other out, resulting in a net zero vector.

2. Why would someone want to sum unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero?

Summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero can be useful in situations where there are multiple forces acting on an object and the resulting net force needs to be zero. This can be seen in examples such as balancing a seesaw or calculating the net force acting on an object in physics problems.

3. How do you calculate the sum of unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero?

To calculate the sum of unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero, you first need to determine the magnitude and direction of each vector. Then, you can use vector addition to add the vectors together in a way that results in a net zero vector. This can be done using trigonometric functions or graphical methods such as the head-to-tail method.

4. Can you provide an example of summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero?

One example of summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero is balancing a seesaw. If a person with a weight of 100 pounds is sitting on one end of a seesaw and a person with a weight of 80 pounds is sitting on the other end, the seesaw will not be balanced. To balance it, a third person with a weight of 20 pounds could sit at a specific distance from the fulcrum, creating a net zero torque and resulting in a balanced seesaw.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero?

There are a few limitations and considerations when summing unequal magnitude vectors to reach zero. First, the vectors must be in the same plane in order for vector addition to be valid. Additionally, the vectors must be added in a specific order, typically from tail to head, to ensure accuracy. Finally, it is important to consider the units and direction of the vectors when adding them together to reach zero.