Is 0 an Odd or Even Number? The Confusion Surrounding Evenness of Zero

• Thread starter monty37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, 0 is an even number as it can be divided by 2 without remainder. It is not strictly even, but rather has the attribute of evenness. This is defined in mathematics as being divisible by 2 without remainder. While 0 is also divisible by other numbers, this does not change the fact that it is even. The terms "even" and "odd" are unique in their definition of divisibility by 2, and there are no other words to describe divisibility by other numbers. Therefore, "just even" could imply being divisible by 2 and not divisible by other numbers, which does not apply to 0.
monty37
is '0' an odd or even number,i mean in my maths book it was
given it is neither odd nor even

Mathematics news on Phys.org
0 is even.

why is it even?

"why is it even?"

It can be divided by 2 without remainder.

uart said:
"why is it even?"

It can be divided by 2 without remainder.

Of course, it can also be divided by 3 (or any number) without remainder, so your book may be trying to confer the notion that 0 is not strictly even, although saying it is neither doesn't sound right.

I wouldn't say that 0 "is" even, but rather it has the attribute of evenness.

Mensanator said:
Of course, it can also be divided by 3 (or any number) without remainder, so your book may be trying to confer the notion that 0 is not strictly even, although saying it is neither doesn't sound right.

I wouldn't say that 0 "is" even, but rather it has the attribute of evenness.

No it's just even. The entire structure of math is axiom, definition, proof, theorem. Even is a property DEFINED as being divisible by 2 without remainder. 0 has this property. It's even plane and simple.

I don't know why you, or the textbook, would not say that 0 is "strictly" even. It certainly is. An "even" number is defined as a number of the form "2n" for some integer n, a "multiple of 2". 0= 2(0). Yes, n can also be divided by 3: 0= 3(0) so 0 is also a multiple of 3. In fact it is a multiple of every number.

Monty37, please quote exactly what your textbook says.

Furthermore, the definition of an odd number is a number that is not evenly divisible by two. Since zero is evenly divisible by two, it can't be odd.

Definitions in math often have cases which don't fit the general definition. In most cases, the decision to include or exclude a number from a class of numbers is simply arbitrary. In most cases, a certain symmetry follows, making common problems easier to solve.

Some examples:

Zero is even (why? because if you extend the definition to the set of all integers, not just positive integers, the sequence goes even-odd-even-odd from +infinity to -infinity)

One is NOT a prime (why? otherwise, almost every proof in number theory would begin with "let p be a prime number greater than 1)

0! = 1. (why? because otherwise, [tex]e = 1 + \Sigma_{k=1} \frac{1}{k!}[/tex], not simply [tex]e = \Sigma_{k=0} \frac{1}{k!}[/tex]

0^0 = 1... sometimes. In number theory, this definition is convenient, because things like taylor series work out very nicely at x=0. But in analysis, 0^0 is left undefined, because then exponentiation becomes a continuous function.

Why is this a problem for anyone? If you know that 2 (or 4) is even then if you subtract exactly 2 from it, the result is even. A good reassuring idea about evenness is that if you subtract any integral multiple of 2 from an even number, the result is also an even number.

Tac-Tics said:
0! = 1. (why? because otherwise, [tex]e = 1 + \Sigma_{k=1} \frac{1}{k!}[/tex], not simply [tex]e = \Sigma_{k=0} \frac{1}{k!}[/tex]

Or, more conveniently, because Gamma(1)=1

maverick_starstrider said:
No it's just even. The entire structure of math is axiom, definition, proof, theorem. Even is a property DEFINED as being divisible by 2 without remainder. 0 has this property. It's even plane and simple.

Would you say 6 is "just even"? I wouldn't, because it's also threeish (evenly divisible by 3).

Anyway, we're not talking geometry.

Mensanator said:
Would you say 6 is "just even"? I wouldn't, because it's also threeish (evenly divisible by 3).

What properties do threeish imply exactly? Is 22 elevenish? These are still even.

even number: 2k,

odd number: 2k-1,

where k is integer.

Let suppose, 2k=0 and k=0

If we let 2k-1=0, 2k=1, k=1/2 (which is not integer, and it is contradiction).

Now we proved that 0 is even. :smile:

maverick_starstrider said:

Mensanator said:

He meant "just even" in response to the assertion that 0 is "not even but has an attribute of evenness", not that it was not divisible by other numbers. If some one said "6 is not even but has an attribute of evenness", I might well respond, "no it is just even". The fact that it is also divisible by 3 doesn't change the fact that it is even.

Anyway, why the reference to geometry? Surely you understand that all of mathematics "axiom, definition, proof, theorem"?

Mensanator said:

The attributes of evenness and oddness are special in that they refer to being exactly divisible by 2 or not. I'm not aware of any other words, at least in English, that describe whether a number is divisible by something other than 2. A number can be even and also divisible by primes other than 2, such as 6 in your example, but again, there aren't any special words that relate to this.

Mark44 said:
The attributes of evenness and oddness are special in that they refer to being exactly divisible by 2 or not. I'm not aware of any other words, at least in English, that describe whether a number is divisible by something other than 2. A number can be even and also divisible by primes other than 2, such as 6 in your example, but again, there aren't any special words that relate to this.

That's why I just made up the word "threeish". But if "even" means divisible by two, what exactly does "just even" mean? I would interpret that to mean divisible by two and not divisible by other numbers and that certainly doesn't apply to 0, does it?

HallsofIvy said:
He meant "just even" in response to the assertion that 0 is "not even but has an attribute of evenness", not that it was not divisible by other numbers. If some one said "6 is not even but has an attribute of evenness", I might well respond, "no it is just even". The fact that it is also divisible by 3 doesn't change the fact that it is even.

Anyway, why the reference to geometry? Surely you understand that all of mathematics "axiom, definition, proof, theorem"?

Well, I didn't assert that 0 is "not even but has an attribute of evenness", what I asserted is that "even" is inadequet description, not that it's wrong. Calling 6 "even" is not wrong, but it doesn't give you the full picture. And I agree that 0 is even, but there's more to it than that. My guess is the book in question is trying to convey something like this but doing a poor job at it.

Anyway, the reference to geometry is plane if you carefully read the post I was replying to.

Mensanator said:
That's why I just made up the word "threeish". But if "even" means divisible by two, what exactly does "just even" mean? I would interpret that to mean divisible by two and not divisible by other numbers and that certainly doesn't apply to 0, does it?

No number is just divisible by 2. Every number is divisible by 1. If you don't allow 1 as a divisor, then 2 is the only number that's only divisible by 2.

Mensanator said:
Well, I didn't assert that 0 is "not even but has an attribute of evenness", what I asserted is that "even" is inadequet description, not that it's wrong. Calling 6 "even" is not wrong, but it doesn't give you the full picture. And I agree that 0 is even, but there's more to it than that. My guess is the book in question is trying to convey something like this but doing a poor job at it.

Anyway, the reference to geometry is plane if you carefully read the post I was replying to.

Any given number has tons of titles. It could be a perfect square, prime (of which there are dozens of types, balanced, carol, chen, cousin, etc.), perfect number, etc. I was saying "just even" in response to the OP's suggestion that there was something "fishy" about the "evenness" of zero. It is 100%, no subtlties or confusions, an even number. I was by no means saying that zero doesn't have other properties. To the contrary, zero is chock full of special/unusual properties.

1. Is 0 considered a number?

Yes, 0 is considered a number and is often referred to as the "additive identity" because when you add 0 to any number, the result is that same number.

2. Is 0 an even number?

Yes, 0 is considered an even number because it is divisible by 2 and there is no remainder.

3. Is 0 an odd number?

No, 0 is not considered an odd number because it does not follow the definition of an odd number, which is any integer that is not divisible by 2.

4. Why is 0 neither odd nor even?

0 is neither odd nor even because it does not have the properties of either an odd or an even number. It is the only number that is neither odd nor even.

5. Can 0 be used in mathematical operations?

Yes, 0 can be used in mathematical operations just like any other number. It can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided.