Calculating Max Ice Production Rate Given kW Input and Temperature Conditions

In summary, the problem is to determine the maximum rate of ice production in kg/h for a steady state icemaker with a power input of 1 kW. The ice is being produced from liquid water at 0 C and must have 333 kJ/kg of energy removed via heat transfer. The surroundings are at 20 C and the device operates at steady state. The equation W = Qh - Qc can be used, where W is the power input, Qh is the heat removed from the surroundings, and Qc is the heat removed from the water. Using this equation, it can be determined that the maximum rate of ice production is 14.76 kg/h.
eku_girl83
Here's my problem:
For each kW of power input to an icemaker at steady state, determine the maximum rate that ice can be produced in kg/h, from liquid water at 0 C. Assume that 333 kJ/kg of energy must be removed by heat transfer to freeze water at 0 C, and that the surroundings are at 20 C.

I know that W = 1 kw, Tc = 0C=273 K, Th = 20C=293 K.
Since the device operates at steady state, W = Qh - Qc.
I also know that W/Qh is less than or equal to (1- Tc/Th)

Could someone give me a hint on where to start with this one? What is the 333 kJ/kg?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is [tex]14.76kgh^{-1}[/tex], is it?

My working is as follow:
[tex]Q_c=mL_f=m(333\times10^3)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{Q_c}{Q_h}=\frac{T_c}{T_h}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow Q_h=m(357.4\times10^3)[/tex]
[tex]W=Q_h-Q_c=m(24.4\times10^3)[/tex]
[tex]1\times10^3=\frac{m(24.4\times10^3)}{t}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{m}{t}=40.98\times10^{-3}kgs^{-1}=147.54kgh^{-1}[/tex]

Last edited:

To calculate the maximum rate of ice production, we can use the following formula:

Maximum ice production rate = (W/Qh) * 3600

Where:
W = power input in kW
Qh = heat transfer rate in kW
3600 = conversion factor from seconds to hours

To find Qh, we can use the formula:

Qh = W * (1 - Tc/Th)

Where:
Tc = temperature of the water being frozen (0°C = 273 K)
Th = temperature of the surroundings (20°C = 293 K)

Now, we need to find the heat transfer rate (Qh) in kW. To do this, we need to know the amount of energy required to freeze 1 kg of water at 0°C. This is given as 333 kJ/kg. This means that for every 1 kg of water frozen, 333 kJ of energy is removed.

To find Qh, we need to convert 333 kJ/kg to kW. We can do this by dividing by the conversion factor of 3600 seconds (since 1 hour = 3600 seconds).

So, Qh = (333 kJ/kg) / (3600 seconds) = 0.0925 kW

Now, we can plug in the values into the formula for maximum ice production rate:

Maximum ice production rate = (W/Qh) * 3600 = (1 kW / 0.0925 kW) * 3600 = 38756.76 kg/h

Therefore, for every 1 kW of power input, the maximum rate of ice production from liquid water at 0°C is 38756.76 kg/h.

1. How do I calculate the maximum ice production rate given kW input and temperature conditions?

To calculate the maximum ice production rate, you will need to use the following formula: Ice Production Rate (kg/h) = kW Input x 0.86 x Temperature Difference (°C). The 0.86 factor takes into account the efficiency of the ice-making process. The temperature difference can be calculated by subtracting the desired ice temperature from the ambient temperature.

2. What is the significance of kW input in calculating the maximum ice production rate?

kW input is the power input of the ice maker, which is typically provided by the manufacturer. It is an important factor in calculating the maximum ice production rate as it directly affects the energy available for ice production. A higher kW input will result in a higher maximum ice production rate.

3. Can the maximum ice production rate be affected by temperature conditions?

Yes, temperature conditions play a crucial role in determining the maximum ice production rate. The colder the ambient temperature, the more efficient the ice-making process will be, resulting in a higher maximum ice production rate. On the other hand, warmer ambient temperatures can decrease the maximum ice production rate.

4. Is the maximum ice production rate a fixed value for all ice makers?

No, the maximum ice production rate can vary depending on the type and efficiency of the ice maker, as well as the temperature conditions. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's specifications for a specific ice maker to determine its maximum ice production rate.

5. How can I increase the maximum ice production rate for my ice maker?

To increase the maximum ice production rate, you can consider lowering the ambient temperature or upgrading to a more efficient ice maker with a higher kW input. It is also important to regularly maintain and clean the ice maker to ensure its optimal performance and maximum ice production rate.