Solving for Internal Resistance: Thenevin Equivalent Circuit Explained

• Thread starter phrygian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the internal resistance of an automobile battery with a terminal voltage of 12.8 V and a drop to 11 V when the starter motor, which draws 90 A, is running. The solution involves thinking of the battery as a voltage source in series with an internal resistance and using the voltage drop when 90 A flows through it. The starter motor does not need to be represented in the circuit.
phrygian

Homework Statement

An automobile battery has a terminal voltage of 12.8 V with no load. When the starter motor, which draws 90 A, is running, the terminal voltage drops to 11 V. What’s the internal resistance of the battery?

Homework Equations

I think the solution must involve finding a Thenevin equivalent circuit?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a problem from a homework written by my teacher, and from the reading in the book I have absolutely no idea where to start this one. Can anyone help point me in the right direction and help me see what the circuit is even supposed to look like?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
phrygian said:
I think the solution must involve finding a Thenevin equivalent circuit?
No need for anything like that.

Hint: Think of the battery as being a voltage source in series with an internal resistance. When no current flows, the voltage drop across that resistance is 0. What's the voltage drop when 90 A flows through it?

So the answer is as simple as 1.8 V / 90 A? Is the starter motor a resistor or what do you write it as when you draw the circuit?

phrygian said:
So the answer is as simple as 1.8 V / 90 A?
Yep.
Is the starter motor a resistor or what do you write it as when you draw the circuit?
It doesn't matter what you write for the starter motor, since it's outside the terminals of the battery. I guess you could show it as a resistor if you want.

You might find this helpful: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dcex6.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Thenevin Equivalent?

Thenevin Equivalent, also known as Thevenin's Theorem, is a fundamental concept in electrical engineering and physics. It states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source in series with a single resistance.

2. How is Thenevin Equivalent used in circuit analysis?

Thenevin Equivalent is used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. By replacing a circuit with its equivalent, we can reduce the number of components and calculate the overall behavior of the circuit more easily.

3. What are the assumptions of Thenevin Equivalent?

Thenevin Equivalent assumes that the circuit is linear, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current is constant. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that there are no time-varying signals.

4. What are the limitations of Thenevin Equivalent?

Thenevin Equivalent is only applicable to linear circuits and cannot be used for non-linear circuits. It also does not take into account the effects of magnetic fields, which can be significant in certain circuits.

5. How is Thenevin Equivalent different from Norton Equivalent?

Thenevin Equivalent and Norton Equivalent are two equivalent circuit theorems that can be used interchangeably. The main difference is that Thenevin Equivalent replaces a circuit with a voltage source and a series resistance, while Norton Equivalent replaces a circuit with a current source and a parallel resistance.