Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Thenevin Equivalent?

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An automobile battery has a terminal voltage of 12.8 V with no load. When the starter motor, which draws 90 A, is running, the terminal voltage drops to 11 V. What’s the internal resistance of the battery?

2. Relevant equations

I think the solution must involve finding a Thenevin equivalent circuit?

3. The attempt at a solution

This is a problem from a homework written by my teacher, and from the reading in the book I have absolutely no idea where to start this one. Can anyone help point me in the right direction and help me see what the circuit is even supposed to look like?

Thanks for the help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No need for anything like that.

Hint: Think of the battery as being a voltage source in series with an internal resistance. When no current flows, the voltage drop across that resistance is 0. What's the voltage drop when 90 A flows through it?

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    So the answer is as simple as 1.8 V / 90 A? Is the starter motor a resistor or what do you write it as when you draw the circuit?

5. Jan 12, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Yep.
    It doesn't matter what you write for the starter motor, since it's outside the terminals of the battery. I guess you could show it as a resistor if you want.

6. Jan 12, 2010 #5

Doc Al

You might find this helpful: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dcex6.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook