Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses

• Thread starter Trip
  • Start date
In summary, there is a call for information about Theodor von Oppolzer and his Canon of Eclipses. The link to his book is provided, as well as a website with images of his maps and information about a crater on the moon named after him. The poster is still learning about the math behind calculating eclipses and is seeking help and comments on Oppolzer's work. They also mention that the book may not be available for download due to copyright.
Trip
Summary:: A call for information about Oppolzer and his Canon of Eclipses

Theodor von Oppolzer was an incredible astronomer and mathematician. I recently came across a free online version of his Canon of Eclipses and (for the parts I understand) I have enjoyed going through it and learning more. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has reviewed Oppolzer's works. I searched the forum before making this post and I didn't see any other posts about Oppolzer.

The link to his book is right here: https://archive.org/details/canonofeclipsesc0000oppo/page/n1

There's a website that mentions him and gives some images of his maps: http://eclipse-maps.com/Eclipse-Maps/History/Pages/1887_Canon_der_Finsternisse_-1207_to_-375.html

He has a crater on the moon named after him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppolzer_(crater)

I'm still learning how to read and understand the math behind calculating the eclipses, any help or extra comment on Oppolzer and his work will be appreciated. I just want to better understand how he conducted his calculations and where they deviate from what's believed today.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem that the copyright should have expired for this book, but it is not available for download?

What is Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses?

Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses is a comprehensive catalog of solar and lunar eclipses that occurred between 1207 BC and 2161 AD. It was compiled by Austrian astronomer Theodor von Oppolzer and includes detailed information such as the date, time, location, and type of eclipse.

Why was Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses created?

The Canon of Eclipses was created to provide a reliable and accurate reference for predicting future eclipses and understanding past ones. It was also meant to serve as a tool for historical and astronomical research.

How was Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses compiled?

The Canon of Eclipses was compiled using a combination of historical records, astronomical calculations, and observations from various sources. Oppolzer spent over 30 years collecting and verifying data to create the most accurate catalog possible.

What information can be found in Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses?

The Canon of Eclipses includes information on over 8,000 solar and lunar eclipses, such as the date, time, location, type of eclipse, and path of totality. It also includes diagrams and maps for each eclipse, as well as historical and cultural significance of certain eclipses.

Is Theodor von Oppolzer's Canon of Eclipses still used today?

While modern technology and advancements in astronomy have made it possible to predict eclipses more accurately, The Canon of Eclipses is still considered a valuable reference for historical and research purposes. Some astronomers also use it as a supplement to modern eclipse prediction methods.