1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TheoMech - rolling a ball down a curve

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    This isnt a homework question (im not in school) but its nearly one for a Theomech class, or maybe just dynamics. Maybe I'm just not seeing it.

Assume you have a hill thats defined by some part of a function y=f(x) (like exponentially decreasing, or a sine wave)

and you put an object on top and let it move down the curve.
    assume no friction, there is some gravity force in the y direction only.

What are the independent forces of the object at a given x direction?

so im looking for Fx(x,f(x)) and Fy(x,f(x)) so get the force given some euation describing the curve and a position.

Would I use lagrangian mechanics to pull out the accel in each direction? or what...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2005 #2
    heres what ive come up with so far

assuming the equation f(x), the vector describing the direction of increase from the current point xo, would be :

Vi = {f(xo+dx) - f(xo), xo} (haha, ive seen that somewhere before.....)

ok, so the normal force would be orthogonal to this vector.

Vn = -dx*i + (f(xo+dx)-f(xo))*j

so Fn = |Fn|*Vn
    and Fn_x = -dx

wait wait wait, so this DOESNT feel a force in the X direction? I mean if take the limit and dx->0... am I doing this the wrong way?

Its basically looking at the gradient of something... why dont i remember this stuff...
  4. Mar 14, 2005 #3
    If you are referencing your x-axis perpendicular to g, then no there is no force in the x direction. Personally, I would set the axis such that x is along the average of the function of the path of decent, y being perpendicular, g will be a resultant of two vectors, Gx and Gy. I'm not really sure what your trying to do though, so...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?