Theorem 2.13 of Principles of Mathematical Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem and proof that involves sets of n-tuples and their elements. There is confusion about the interpretation of the theorem and the meaning of certain statements in the proof. The main point of the conversation is to clarify the identification and equivalence of sets, which leads to the conclusion that Bn is countable. It is noted that Rudin does not use standard notation for this theorem.
math771
This question is directed toward people who have a copy of the text--in other words, I'm too lazy to retype the whole theorem and proof (sorry).
First, I'm having trouble simply understanding the meaning of certain parts of the theorem itself. I'm taking Bn to include only n-tuples (i.e. no (n-1)-tuples) that include once and only once every ak belonging to A. On this interpretation, what distinguishes the different n-tuples of Bn is only the order of their members. Is this correct?
Second, in the proof, there is the statement: B1=A. In other words, the set {(a1)} is equal to the set {a1}. Is this always true when the ordered pair consists of only one member?
Third, the proof notes that the elements of Bn are of the form (b, a) where b belongs to B(n-1) and a belongs to A (and does not belong to B(n-1), I ask myself). However, this appears to imply that all elements of Bn are 2-tuples, which would contradict my reading of the statement of the theorem (1) that Bn includes only n-tuples. What have I got wrong?
The proof's strangest statement to me is: "For every fixed b, the set of pairs (b, a) is equivalent to A." Note: I understand the phrase "is equivalent to" and do not require an explanation of that concept. I simply fail to see what sort of function makes a 1-1 correspondence between the set of pairs (b, a) and A--or to phrase it a different way, why there is such a function.

Thank you!

I'm new to this website, so please let me know if this is the wrong place for this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi math771! :smile:

math771 said:
This question is directed toward people who have a copy of the text--in other words, I'm too lazy to retype the whole theorem and proof (sorry).
First, I'm having trouble simply understanding the meaning of certain parts of the theorem itself. I'm taking Bn to include only n-tuples (i.e. no (n-1)-tuples) that include once and only once every ak belonging to A. On this interpretation, what distinguishes the different n-tuples of Bn is only the order of their members. Is this correct?

Hmm, not sure what you're saying here. We simply have

[tex]B_n=\{(a_1,...,a_n)~\vert~a_i\in A,\forall i\}[/tex]

Thus Bn consists of n-tuples (indeed, no (n-1)-tuples) in which every element of the tuple is an element of A.
What distinguishes the n-tuples is the order of their elements and which elements they are. For example, if [itex]A=\{0,1\}[/itex], then

[tex]B_2=\{(0,0),(0,1),(1,0),(1,1)\}[/tex]

Second, in the proof, there is the statement: B1=A. In other words, the set {(a1)} is equal to the set {a1}. Is this always true when the ordered pair consists of only one member?

Equal is a bit too much here, and what Rudin says is not 100% nice and correct. Here he identifies (a) and a. For example, if A={0,1}, then

[tex]B_1=\{(0),(1)\}[/tex]

So you see that B1 is not the same as A, but it actually is up to identification. In either case, it is easily seen to have as much elements of A.

Third, the proof notes that the elements of Bn are of the form (b, a) where b belongs to B(n-1) and a belongs to A (and does not belong to B(n-1), I ask myself). However, this appears to imply that all elements of Bn are 2-tuples, which would contradict my reading of the statement of the theorem (1) that Bn includes only n-tuples. What have I got wrong?

Again, Rudin is not 100% nice and correct here. He identifies things of the following kind:

[tex]((a_1,a_2),a_3)=(a_1,a_2,a_3)[/tex]

Rigourously, the former is a 2-tuple and the latter a 3-tuple, so they aren't equal. But Rudin identifies them anyway. For example, when A={0,1}, then we have the following two sets:

[tex]\{((0),0),((0),1),((1),0),((1),1)\}~\text{and}~\{(0,0),(0,1),(1,0),(1,1)\}[/tex]

these sets aren't equal, but they are up to identification. In any case, it is easily seen to have the same amount of elements.

The proof's strangest statement to me is: "For every fixed b, the set of pairs (b, a) is equivalent to A." Note: I understand the phrase "is equivalent to" and do not require an explanation of that concept. I simply fail to see what sort of function makes a 1-1 correspondence between the set of pairs (b, a) and A--or to phrase it a different way, why there is such a function.

The bijection is

[tex]f(a)=(b,a)[/tex]

Thank you for the detailed response! I would like to verify just one point. Correct me if I'm wrong: Rudin is saying that Bn is countable because a set with the same number of elements that closely resembles Bn--namely the set of pairs (b, a) where b belongs to B(n-1) and a belongs to A (but does not belong to B(n-1), I suspect)--is countable.

math771 said:
Thank you for the detailed response! I would like to verify just one point. Correct me if I'm wrong: Rudin is saying that Bn is countable because a set with the same number of elements that closely resembles Bn--namely the set of pairs (b, a) where b belongs to B(n-1) and a belongs to A (but does not belong to B(n-1), I suspect)--is countable.

Exactly!

On another note, I don't quite understand why Rudin doesn't follow the standard notations for this. The set Bn is usually by mathematicians as An.

1. What is Theorem 2.13 of Principles of Mathematical Analysis?

Theorem 2.13 of Principles of Mathematical Analysis is a fundamental theorem in the field of mathematical analysis that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b), then there exists at least one point c in (a,b) where the derivative of the function is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [a,b]. This is also known as the Mean Value Theorem.

2. How is Theorem 2.13 of Principles of Mathematical Analysis used in real-world applications?

Theorem 2.13 has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function, determine the velocity of an object at a specific time, and solve optimization problems.

3. What are the conditions for Theorem 2.13 to hold?

In order for Theorem 2.13 to hold, the function must be continuous on the closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b). Additionally, the endpoints a and b must be included in the interval (a,b).

4. Can Theorem 2.13 be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Theorem 2.13 can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of partial derivatives and vector calculus. The generalization is known as the Mean Value Theorem for Vector-Valued Functions.

5. Are there any important corollaries or implications of Theorem 2.13?

Yes, there are several important corollaries and implications that follow from Theorem 2.13. For example, it can be used to prove the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, as well as other theorems such as Rolle's Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem. It also has important applications in the study of differential equations and numerical analysis.