1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorem in QM

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    aqqw

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

How about ψ=ψeo (where, of course, ψ must statisfy Schroedinger equation), and then prove that ψe≠0 and ψo≠0 cannot be simultaneously true.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    Emm.....By wave function I assume you're talking about eigenfunction. Even though I can only prove that we can always find even solutions and odd solutions. As for what you said "prove wave function can be only even or odd." I really have no idea how to do it. I tried turin's method but didn't manage to get the desired answer. Let's wait for other people's opinion.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4
    No, I'm pretty sure he needs wavefunctions and not eigenfunctions

woodywood, you may want to consider the parity operator:

[tex]
    P\Psi(x,y,z,t)=\Psi(-x,-y,-z,t)
    [/tex]

and apply it to both the [itex]H\Psi[/itex] and [itex]\Psi[/itex] (after which you take the Hamiltonian of this latter one too--you should have [itex]PH\Psi[/itex] & [itex]HP\Psi[/itex]) then see how the two relate.

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5

turin

Homework Helper

I'm pretty sure the OP needs eigenfunctions, not just wavefunctions in general. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is even more restricted to stationary eigenstates, because it is trivial to construct, by superposition, a general wavefunction that lacks definite parity, from any spectrum that includes both even and odd states.

7. Nov 18, 2009 #6
    oijluhkjb

8. Nov 18, 2009 #7
    njhgfjhklh;ih;oij

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook