1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorem name

1. Sep 19, 2004 #1
    What is the theorem that states if [tex] \Omega [/tex] is a polynom with degree > 1 with real coefficients. If there exists a complex number [tex] z = a + bi [/tex] such that [tex] \Omega(a+bi)=0 [/tex] then [tex] \overline{z} = a - bi [/tex] is also a root of [tex] \Omega [/tex]? For [tex] \Omega(x) = x^2 + px + q [/tex] with p and q real then if a+bi is a root then a-bi is also a root if [tex] b \neq 0 [/tex], that one is easy but I don't think it's easy for degree > 2 to prove it that's why I'm search for it's name.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it doesn't have a name, as far as i know, and it is easy to prove. if z is a root of P, then z* is a root of P*, where * denotes conjugation, and by P*, I mean the polynomial where you replace the coeffs with their conjugates. (You understand that (uv)*=u*v*?)

4. Sep 19, 2004 #3
    It does get mentioned along with FTA but i wouldn't bet on it having some special name.

-- AI

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?