1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorem of Pappus

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    The theorem of pappus seems too simple that i do not get it.
    ok
    suppose I have the 1. (x cm., y c.m) meaning i have the x and y center of mass (the centroids). the center of mass is of some function
    2. y(x) how do i find the volume when i revolve this region about the line 3. y(x) = mx+b

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the center of mass is not "some function". The center of mass is a single point: of some 2 dimensional region you have not mentioned.

And since you haven't mentioned the region, you haven't mentioned the area of the region which is the the cross-sectional area of the volume swept out. Pappus' theorem says that if you have a region of area A, rotated about a line, the volume of the figure created is 2[itex]\pi[/itex]RA where R is the distance from the centroid of the region.

Calculate the distance, R, from the centroid of the given region to the line y= mx+ b, calculate the area of the region, and then use [itex]V= 2\pi RA[/itex].

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    Ok here is a sample of what I mean.
    Given the centroid of the region enclosed by the x-axis and
    y = Sqrt[a^2-x^2] (a semicircle) is located at (0,4a/3Pi).
    find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region about the y= x-a.

So I know Volume = 2Pi*area*distance from centroid to line y=x-a

Area = Pi * a^2 right?
    distance to from centroid to line y = x-a is what??

thank you

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The distance from a point, [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], to a line Ax+ By+C= 0 is given by
    [tex]\frac{|Ax_0+ By_0+ C|}{\sqrt{A^2+ B^2}}[/itex]

The area of a circle is [itex]\pi r^2[/itex]. The area of a semi- circle is half that.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    Hi Thank you very much. quick question what does
    |Ax +By+c| mean?
    I do not understand what the tabs means?

can you please give me a quick example.
    In my case

y= x-a
    so |1x-1y-a|
    does this equal x^2-y^2-a^2"
    thank you

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

| | is absolute value. But let's back up a little. WHY are you doing this problem? You don't know Pappus' theorem, you got the wrong area for a semi- circle and you have the wrong value for the centroid! If you are taking a multi-variable Calculus course, you should know all those things before you attempt a problem like this. I recommend you go back, re-read the problem, take a deep breath, and start all over again.

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7
    We skipped this stuff when I was in calc II and I really want to get it so I am doing a couple of problems for fun. I know the area of a semicircle.
    The problem says
    "the centroid of the region enclosed by the x-axis and the semicircle
    y= Sqrt[a^2-x^2] lies at the point (0,4a/3Pi). Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving this region about the line y = x-a"

Volume = 2Pi A *b(distance)

A= Pi*a^2/2
    b = (1x0-1y0-a)/Sqrt[(1+1)] = |0-(4a/3Pi)-a|/Sqrt[2] =

(2*Pi*Pi*a^2/2) * ((4a/3Pi)+a) /Sqrt[2]

is that right?
    thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?