Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theorem regarding mod properties

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1
    There is a theorem regarding mod properties such that when a=a'(mod
    c) and b=b'(mod c) then a*±b=a'±b' (mod c) right?

Now, 5=5 mod7. applying it to the above, 10=10 mod7, which is not
    true since 3=10 mod7. Why? I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No 10 is congruent to 10 mod 7 and it is congruent to 3. You are mistaken only in thinking this is wrong. really you ought to be susing congruent signs, not equal signs. Any equivalence class has infintely many elements in it in modulo arithmetic.
  4. Jun 2, 2005 #3
    howcome 10=10 mod7? I thought that you can have the same numbers on both sides only when the numbers are less than the mod. Am I wrong again?

-- and by the way, to type fast I use equal signs, I know it's not fully correct, please bear my momentaneous impatience --

Thanks for replying anyway
  5. Jun 2, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you only be able to have the same numbers on both sides if they were sufficiently small? x=y mod n means exactly that n divides x-y or equivalently that there is an integerk such that x=kn+y and that is all.
  6. Jun 2, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As matt has said already, start from the definition of congruence. You are confusing a residue with a least positive residue (commonly refered to as a remainder).

Again, start from the beginning and work your way up.
  7. Jun 4, 2005 #6
    yes I think so. I'll continue reading on. Thanks for the help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?