Theorems every mathematician should know

In summary, we compiled a list of theorems that every mathematician ought to know. These include Stoke's Theorem, Pythagorean Theorem, Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Zorn's Lemma, Lagrange's Theorem, Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem, Euclid's Theorem of the Infinitude of Primes, Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, Gauss's Trick, Fermat's Last Theorem, De Morgan's Laws, Tychonoff's Theorem, Heine-Borel Theorem, and the Strong Law of Large Numbers. Each of these theorems plays a fundamental role in various branches of mathematics and should be known by all mathematicians.
micromass said:
I don't mean to be annoying, but not even closed and bounded is equivalent with compact :biggrin: You'll need complete and totally bounded, and even that is only true is metric spaces... Indeed, compactness is quite a sensitive property...

Topology is very important in advanced algebra. In particular, you can't do algebraic geometry without knowing your topology!

Ok, so a subset of R^n is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This is the Heine Borel Theorem, isn't it (at least restricted to R^n)?

At any rate, and I admit I was wrong in my first post in this thread, if you are doing just general ring theory, for example, do you really need to know topology? Or do you only need to know topology if you are doing something like algebraic geometry, for example?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Robert1986 said:
Ok, so a subset of R^n is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. This is the Heine Borel Theorem, isn't it (at least restricted to R^n)?

At any rate, and I admit I was wrong in my first post in this thread, if you are doing just general ring theory, for example, do you really need to know topology? Or do you only need to know topology if you are doing something like algebraic geometry, for example?

I've still seen topology when doing rings. Specifically, when discussing completions of rings. But I know where your coming from and I think you're probably right. There are many fields in mathematics where one can do research and not use topology or analysis at all. So in that respect, there is no single theorem that a mathematician should know. All the theorems one needs to know can differ from field to field.

But I still think that there are an amount of theorems that a mathematician should know as "culture", not because it is useful. And Heine-Borel certainly is one of them. Even if some mathematicians see no use for it...

rank-nullity, riemann roch, fundamental theorem of calculus, poincare - hopf theorem, gauss bonnet, big-little picard thorems, mittag leffler, Fourier transform, taylor theorem, cauchy theorem, green's - stokes theorem, hurewicz theorem on homotopy/homology groups, archimedes formulas on areas and volumes of spheres, pappus' theorems, pythagoras' theorems including law of cosines, riemann's theorem and riemann's singularities theorem, mordell's theorem and faltings' theorems, unique factorization theorems, zariski's main theorem,...

Alan1000 said:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation, and those who don't.

Seriously though, I second the nomination of Pythagoras' Theorem. This was the earliest example of a genuinely profound mathematical insight, built upon axiomatic foundations which were probably barely as old as Pythagoras himself. An awe-inspiring achievement, the mathematical equivalent of the Parthenon.

Awww, thanks guy

micromass said:
I've still seen topology when doing rings. Specifically, when discussing completions of rings. But I know where your coming from and I think you're probably right. There are many fields in mathematics where one can do research and not use topology or analysis at all. So in that respect, there is no single theorem that a mathematician should know. All the theorems one needs to know can differ from field to field.

But I still think that there are an amount of theorems that a mathematician should know as "culture", not because it is useful. And Heine-Borel certainly is one of them. Even if some mathematicians see no use for it...

I agree completely. What I wrote in my first post of this thread was wrong. There are certain things that every mathematician should know; not for any particular reason other than the fact that the person is a mathematician.

Pythagorean said:
v-e+f=2

the Euler's formula

but i recently read an article which states that archimedes proved this one quite before euler although he stated it differently

I study control engineering rather than mathematics, but:

Taylor's theorem, in all it's forms (one variable, multiple variables, complex variables, using vectors/matrices, with and without the bounds on the error. etc) since I think it's useful in so many different contexts.

Lots of people seem to learn the basic form of the series but not the error term when they learn basic calculus, which is a shame.

Incidentally I think all engineers, physicists, mathematicians etc. should learn the basics of vector and inner product spaces, and understand why function spaces can be viewed a vector space - the number of electrical engineering students I've seen that know how to find a Fourier series, but don't really understand them, is somewhat frightening.

gb7nash said:
Theorem: 5 out of 4 people have problems with rational numbers.

I thought it was 10 out of 8 - I stand corrected.. Did you know that 1 in [tex]\pi[/tex] people have trouble with real numbers?

Last edited:
And 1 in 3-i people have trouble with complex numbers.

And 0/0 persons have trouble with "indeterminate" terms...

And [tex]\geqslant\!1[/tex] people have trouble with division by zero...

rank - nullity

The Stone-Weierstrass theorem! Which is, I think, one of the most beautiful results there is...

micromass said:
The Stone-Weierstrass theorem! Which is, I think, one of the most beautiful results there is...

Hey! No fair! I already named that one. :cool: