Therefore, B is not a subset of UProving A n B = U iff A = U and B = U

• Thread starter mbcsantin
  • Start date
In summary, to prove that for any sets A, B, C in a universe U, A n B = U if and only if A = U and B = U, we need to show that A and B are subsets of U and U is a subset of A and B. This can be done by picking an element x inside A n B and showing that it is also in A and B, since they are subsets of U. Similarly, if A = U and B = U, then A n B = U.
mbcsantin

Homework Statement

Prove the following: For any sets A, B, C in a universe U:
A n B = Universe iff A = Universe and B = Universe

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do the questions but I am just not sure if i did it right. id appreciate if you can check my work and let me know what changes i have to make. thanks

the symbol "n" means "intersect"
U for Union

Suppose A n B = U and suppose that A is a proper subset of U then
x is an element of B but
x is not an element of A n B since x is not an element of A

Physics news on Phys.org
When proving these sorts of problems it is important to know what you need to show. What does it mean for two sets to be equal? It means that each set is a subset of each other. ie: Supposed A and B are two sets. If A=B then [tex]A \subseteq B [/tex] and [tex] B \subseteq A [/tex]

It is also important to know what kind of proof we are dealing with. In this case it is an if and only if. So that means we have to prove both ways. First we prove If A n B = U then A = U and B = U. Second we prove the other way, If A = B and B = U then A n B = U.

So you started off proving the one way. Suppose A n B = U. You do not need to suppose A is a proper subset of U because you are given that by definition in your problem. So you said x is an element of B, and then x is not an element of A n B because x is not an element of A. It very well may be in A! We do not have enough information to conclude that if we pick an element in B, it can't be in A. Instead we should pick an element x inside A n B. Then x is an element of A and x is an element of B. Since A and B are subsets of U, x is an element of U...see where I'm going? We need to show A = U and B = U. That means we need to show A is a subset of U and U is a subset of A. Similarly for B. Well we already know that A is a subset of U by definition. But is U a subset of A? What information do we have? Start by picking an element out of U and showing that it is inside A using our assumptions. Then U will be a subset of A and thus A=U. A similar argument will be made for B.

Then we have to prove the other way. If A=U and B=U then A n B = U.

I hope this helps.

kidmode01 said:
When proving these sorts of problems it is important to know what you need to show. What does it mean for two sets to be equal? It means that each set is a subset of each other. ie: Supposed A and B are two sets. If A=B then [tex]A \subseteq B [/tex] and [tex] B \subseteq A [/tex]

It is also important to know what kind of proof we are dealing with. In this case it is an if and only if. So that means we have to prove both ways. First we prove If A n B = U then A = U and B = U. Second we prove the other way, If A = B and B = U then A n B = U.

So you started off proving the one way. Suppose A n B = U. You do not need to suppose A is a proper subset of U because you are given that by definition in your problem. So you said x is an element of B, and then x is not an element of A n B because x is not an element of A. It very well may be in A! We do not have enough information to conclude that if we pick an element in B, it can't be in A. Instead we should pick an element x inside A n B. Then x is an element of A and x is an element of B. Since A and B are subsets of U, x is an element of U...see where I'm going? We need to show A = U and B = U. That means we need to show A is a subset of U and U is a subset of A. Similarly for B. Well we already know that A is a subset of U by definition. But is U a subset of A? What information do we have? Start by picking an element out of U and showing that it is inside A using our assumptions. Then U will be a subset of A and thus A=U. A similar argument will be made for B.

Then we have to prove the other way. If A=U and B=U then A n B = U.

I hope this helps.

thanks! it really helps!

1. What is the meaning of "A n B = U"?

"A n B" represents the intersection of sets A and B, which is the set of elements that are common to both A and B. The equal sign means that the intersection is equal to the universal set, U.

2. Why is it necessary to prove that A n B = U in order to show that A is not a subset of B?

The statement "A is not a subset of B" means that there exists at least one element in A that is not in B. By proving that A n B = U, we are showing that all elements in A are also in B, which contradicts the definition of A not being a subset of B.

3. What is the significance of proving both A = U and B = U?

Proving that both A and B are equal to the universal set, U, is important because it shows that there are no elements in either A or B that are not in U. This further reinforces the fact that A n B = U, as all elements in both A and B are also in U.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Let A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {2, 3, 4}. Then, A n B = {2, 3} and U = {1, 2, 3, 4}. In this case, A n B = U, but A and B are not equal to U. This means that A is a subset of B, but not equal to B. Therefore, this statement is proven to be false.

5. How does this statement relate to set theory and logic?

This statement is based on the principles of set theory and logic, as it involves proving the equality of sets and using logical reasoning to show the validity of the statement. It also shows the connection between the concepts of subsets, intersections, and universal sets in set theory.